New Carpets....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not anytime soon, but in the near future we are getting new carpets in the bedrooms and wood floors in the tv rooms. All 4 of my tanks are in my bedroom, a place which BADLY needs new carpet. So my question is

Is there a better way to move my tanks for up to a week?

M plan is to do a large water change( 80%) and keep most of the water in 5 gal buckets with the fish and plants.

Then we would move the tanks ( idk were would be best to move them too, our house has a tiled kitchen separating the two halves of the house. Both halves will need to be carpeted / wood floored .

I know it's a long confusing post but that's how I feel :D

( I know about keepin the filters wet along with the gravel . My main question is will the fish be ok? I plan to put beta tank 16 gal and 10 gal nursery on the ground. I have a dog, how could I keep him out. My 55 will be on its stand)

Sorry again for being a rambler ( and for misspelling some words, I'm on my iPad lol)

I would put air driven sponge filters in your tanks. And use a 100 Gal rubbermade tub or something biger then a 5 gal and put the seeded sponge filters in. What ever you do don't forget the heat & take you time.

Ok, could I even set the tank back up on the otherwise of the house untill my room has its new carpets? Then move it back? That's hat I meant by the 5 g buckets. Empty out the tank into the buckets until its light enough to move then fill it back up with the water in the buckets and plug in lights and filters. It would be this way for up to a week ( haven't had the carpet guys come by yet)

I am a floorlayer myself (ceramic tile) and I have had to move several fish tanks. What I asked of the owners were to drain 50% of the tank right before i arrived. Then I would place a few glide disks under the stand and slowly move the tank to another area. The owner could then refill the tank and have it run basically a 50% pwc. Of course this all depends on the size of the tank and the stand it's on. Gundlach No. 521 Safety Slides (4/set) | Tools4Flooring.com are the disks I used, you would be surprised how easy it is to slide one!
Oh yeah forgot to add i have even helped on one carpet job where we just moved the tank to one end of the room carpeted half and moved it back all in under 2 hours.

The beta the 10g and te 16 gal are all stand less so I'm going to leave them on the ground and lock off my dog from the room. The 55 is on carpet now

View attachment 87413

It Dosent have legs, just like a flat surface on the ground

Yeah the biggest one I have moved was about a 55 gallon. Those disks will raise it up off the floor and make it easy to slide.

What about the stand? Would the discs work with it? I have to move the tank across a few borders of tile and carpet with the metal plate to seperate the flooring, would that be a problem

I can't tell if the stand is strong enough honestly I would have to see it in order to tell. Does it wobble at all or is it a sturdy stand? Also on a stand like that i would use 6 or 8 disks, 1 for each corner and 1 in the center at least. One thing to remember is do not push on the tank it's self, you need to push the stand (almost knocked a fish tank off that way lol).
As far as the metal transition strips, as long as they are flush it should be okay.

It's good and sturdy, but does wobble when my sister "accidentally" hits it with the vacuum cleaner. I think I'm gonna just get together some strong men to lift it, it's not that far, just different placement

Also will there be any chemicals I'll have to worry about? I don't wanna go thought that again :'(

chemicals for laying carpet? No should be nothing as far as I know. (tile guy so I don't know everything bout carpet lol). Now for the wood flooring depends on what you are going with? Prefinished? Are they sanding and staining it? sand and stain you will have LOADS of dust then the stain and finish. Prefinished depending on type there won't be any chemicals if you have a lock in system besides maybe a bit of glue.

Quite honestly idk what floors my parents want, just that I'm getting new carpet and they are getting wood. If it is going to be "dusty" what should I do? I run several bubblers in my tanks as well

Well if they get sanded floors you could always toss a sheet over the tank/airpumps that should keep all but the finest particals out. Or you could do plastic sheeting if you had some handy.

And would bring on the ground be a problem for the tanks? Like any vibration problems or something?

If they are sanding the floor you may want to put the tank on a blanket or something just to dampen the vibrations. It all depends on where your tank is and where they are sanding. Other than that i can't see a normal install of carpet or prefinished hardwood causing too many vibrations.

Back
Top Bottom