Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2005, 05:51 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
I tell ya what would make me by a smaller car.

If they would start making semi's SMALLER.
Thats the main reason I buy larger family cars.

Myself..I drive an S-10, small yes but I dont really worry about me it's the wife and kids I wont put in a small shoe box.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
Old 01-22-2005, 06:12 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

I would love to drive a small car like I used to when I was single, zippy and great on gas, easy to park, etc. Nowadays when I see a tiny car I just feel like nobody can see them and it is more dangerous now than it used to be.

For me, I have to be able to take the family on a day trip and have room to pack our stuff, go to the grocery store and to the hardware store without having to rent a truck. I also can seat 7 in my minivan and that means we can bring other family or friends with us to go somewhere and cut down on cars on the road.

I was horrified when I realized I would have to drive a minivan, but now I don't think I could do without it. If we could just find a way to do without fossil fuels it would change everything.

Old 01-22-2005, 06:18 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are working on driving without fossil fuels, but as long as there is oil left, not many people will dare to take on the oil industry by releasing a completely new concept. We have some public transport here in Belgium that drives on Bio-diesel (actually gas from rotten plant matter) and even on Hydrogen.
But it's not yet economically viable to start mass producing this sor of things, so they're holding it off.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:20 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl
I was horrified when I realized I would have to drive a minivan, but now I don't think I could do without it. If we could just find a way to do without fossil fuels it would change everything.
The power consumption is the problem. How do you replicate that? We have (in NYC) "clean-air buses" ( Compressed natural gas) but I've heard that the cost is prohibitive (either that or BIG oil won't let go).

I've had sedans but for a family of four (all sorta large bodied) and picking stuff up and lugging this one and that one, etc. The sports utility is the answer.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:33 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Well put one of thoses big SUV's up aginst a Licolin Town car and one of those minni coopers and see which driver walks away.
Agree completely.
Quote:
Right, but then again, if everyone would drive smaller cars, we wouldn't have these discussions.
Ah, but you have to consider trucks, bad driving conditions, etc. I would hate to wrap around a telephone pole in one of those. I've been to Europe and driven those small cars, they scare the heck out of me. definitely, fun to drive though.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:43 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
you can't really sit on the hood .... i would be afraid my chunkyness would be like a can crusher to that car

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
Old 01-22-2005, 08:24 PM   #27
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
The Smarts are made by Mercedes, and are actually very high quality cars....the big bonus is that you can drive one around all month for about $20 worth of petrol, and you can park them in about ¬Ĺ a regular space.

I have not seen the chap on the Segway, but have heard about him. Lots of Vespas and motor-assisted bicycles in my neighbourhood, though.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 01-22-2005, 08:31 PM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Well, if they would sell that little car in the US, I'd probably buy one. I agree that larger vehicles are probably a bit safer. I actually prefer the way a big car rides...I just can't justify the extra purchase and fuel costs. The hybrids, IMO, are a bit of a disappointment. They are very expensive to purchase and thier economy isn't that good. My old beat up Metro consistently gets 45mpg and none of the hybrids, according to the consumer reviews I've read, even get close to that. I guess we all have different ideas about what we want for transportation. To me, a car is a way to get where I want to go. The cheaper, the better. I'd love to see a subcompact with a small turbo diesel. If it would go 70mph, that'd be enough for me. I know, if my Metro can get 45mph with a normally aspirated 1.0 liter gas burner, a modern efficient turbodiesel could do twice that. We're eventually going to have to come to terms with energy usage here in the US. It'll be better for everyone if we can do it before it becomes a crisis situation. JMHO.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:35 PM   #29
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
That little car also beats the tar out of even California's emmision requirements, and according to the site (and a number of consumer reports), gets about 64mpg.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 01-23-2005, 12:50 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
according to the site (and a number of consumer reports), gets about 64mpg

Sign me up!!

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com