New Genetically Modified Glo-Cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not my thing. I've always preferred wild-type fish, even in species commonly bred for different colors, like livebearers and angels. But it doesn't stop with fish. How 'bout...

glo kittens? Or...

Glowing Kittens Fight Feline AIDS - ScienceNOW

glo puppies?

Scientists create glow-in-the-dark puppy - CBS News Video

Doubt we'll ever see an end to the deliberate mutations created by science.

I must say, though, kinda wish my dogs were glow-in-the dark when they jump the fence at 2:00 AM and start runnin' all over the neighborhood... :)

WYite

Considering they've made GFP transgenic mice, rates, cats, pigs, birds, mushrooms, and monkies, this hardly seems like news anymore. They're basically not even trying anymore.

Generally speaking I don't usually comment on things like this... But I paid extra close attention to the glo-danios in a local petco and a couple were looking rough, specifically the yellow?green? Ones. There spines looked crooked or droopy, like there back halves were obviously lower then the front. I did for a bit consider getting a school for my 55 because I thought my kids would love seeing them school and be really into the colors. However after seeing how unhealthy just a handful were, even though any number of fish could be ill at a big name pet store I would not buy them...

I hate all of this.

It makes me sad honestly.

I don't think we as humans should do this to our pets.

aqua_chem said:
Considering they've made GFP transgenic mice, rates, cats, pigs, birds, mushrooms, and monkies, this hardly seems like news anymore. They're basically not even trying anymore.

+1 I have seen
°Tetras
°Barbs
°Angelfish
°Danios
°Rice Fish
°Monkeys
°Cats
Shall I continue?
° Lizards
° Frogs
° Snakes
° Sloths
° Chameleons
And the few that AC mentioned, it is no surprise to me that there are glo Cichlids and almost seems short of repetitive to be talking about this once again, are we really going to have a thread every time they genetically modify a fish? Not that I don't agree that its not natural but somebody must like them out there because they sell like hotcakes. You just have to face the fact that no matter what you say companies are still going to sell bettas in cups, small bowls for goldfish, and fish that glo in the dark.

What's next? Glowing BB so your filters are glow in the dark?

Well I suppose if you over-crowd the tank with goo-cichlids, maybe they'll light up the room enough to help you in a blackout.

jcolon said:
What's next? Glowing BB so your filters are glow in the dark?

Well I suppose if you over-crowd the tank with goo-cichlids, maybe they'll light up the room enough to help you in a blackout.

They're actually fluorescent, so you would still need to power the blacklight to make them light up.

The greens come from jellyfish, and the reds come from several different coral species.

Personally, I've always wished I could get the luminescent dinoflagellates to establish and light up an aquarium because I think it would be a cool effect - especially since it is all natural. I do not however have any desire to have glo-fish or glo-pets of any type.

They're actually fluorescent, so you would still need to power the blacklight to make them light up.

The greens come from jellyfish, and the reds come from several different coral species.

What? Darn!:facepalm: Guess I wont have a natural night light for when I walk in the living room in the middle of the night!

Back
Top Bottom