New Global Warming articles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tecwzrd

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not wanting to start a heated debate but I felt these too new articles this week were worth mentioning.

First up is where weather stations are located. They are supposed to be on grass or similar ground and 100 ft away from any building to keep the readings from being skewed.

As you will notice in the photos a lot of them are surrounded by buildings and often on black roads and near AC exhaust units :eek:

These weather stations are used by NASA's GISS database for climate models to predict global warming!

Second is more and more evidence is showing that the sun is playing the greatest role in how warming/cooling the planet becomes and that by 2020 we will experience a slight global cooling due to the sun being at it's weakest strength in it's regular cycle.

I have always said it was all about the sun and nothing to do with humans adding CO2 to the atmosphere. It the normal cycle of earth.

There are some great videos from the BBC that explain how bogus this whole CO2 thing is.

There is definitely a problem of accurate reporting of temperatures.....

I find it interesting that the author of the last article doesn't show any support for his theory....for example, some figures showing correlations between sun spot cycles and ice or sediment core records of temperature. The model needs to be validated before it can be used for prediction.

Whomever is right, we still need to figure out what is driving climate change as it will have a big impact on a lot of people. For example, desertification of formerly productive agricultural lands is going to cause a lot of problems, especially for poor countries.

newfound77951 said:
For example, desertification of formerly productive agricultural lands is going to cause a lot of problems, especially for poor countries.
Assuming the earth still warms and doesn't cool. New growing for normally cold climates should offset the desertification of already warm climates should that happen.

We are a very adaptable people either way and I feel new technologies i.e. bio-fuel, cold fusion, and other yet to be developed technologies will provide us in the near future with nearly unlimited non polluting fuel for the future.

I saw something on TV recently about global dimming (no, not people's IQ dropping!!! :lol: ), where particles from pollutants are blocking the light & heat from the sun which in turn lowers the temperature on the surface, and, used as an example to prove this, the days that followed 9/11 showed an increase, by only a few degrees, in surface temperature in the US due to the thousands of flights being grounded. So basically, if we suddenly stop using fossil and other inefficient fuels, then we could actually further increase the temperatures of the Earth as the CO2 levels will still be causing the greenhouse effect!!! 8O

We'd need to reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere (a good idea is replanting trees that have been cut down in the rainforests), then gradually phasing out old style fuels in favour of newer, greener fuels and energy sources.

It's a bit like our fishtanks, if we added too many fish in one go, then the ammonia would spike which could end up killing off the tank's inhabitants until the filter bacteria caught up and cleaned up the ammonia produced...

But anyway, that's just the info I've seen on the issue, my only interpretation of it is the fishtank scenario.... :)

I think the most important point from all this info is that no one really knows what is controlling climate; all the variables are confounded, we need more research, both on climate and on alternative energy sources to be phased in as they become economically viable.

2cvbloke, a similar thing happened after the huge eruption of Mt Pinatubo in the Phillipines; so much dust and ash got in the atmosphere that the average temp went down a little for about a year, there were lots of great sunsets, too, from all the particulate matter in the air!

Yes, humans are 100% innocent of any problems related with the rising temperatures of Earth, burning oil is actually good for the enviroment, and anything that reads global temperatures hasn't been around for the last million years, so it must be flawed and inaccurate...

Back
Top Bottom