New LFS Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishstixs05

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey out there, I am an employee at a fish store. Kent Aquatics. it opened up the day after thanksgiving, and i started working there in mid december. My question is, how should i make this the best dang fish store? Stocking advice, equipment to carry or not to carry, ways to act and other advice would be greaatly appreciated.
Ben

depending on the stores supplier restrictions, what they carry may be limited by what they get from the supplier so don't be dimayed if your stocking suggestions don't come to fruition. the A-#1 thing you can do, is never give bad advice and never let any of your co-workers give bad advice (even if that means interupting them with a customer when they are giving bad advice) but keep the "interuptions" to factual bad advice, not opinion based advice, if you know what I mean.

Show a genuine interest in customer's tanks. Ask them questions about their setups, what they have etc. Nothing is better than your LFS knowing exactly the setup you have when you walk through the door, and an interest in knowing how your tank is doing.

Know your stuff.

That's good.

And know when you don't know too. Be willing to grab a book with them and search for the answer. They'll respect you in the morning. :roll: How many tanks? Gallons per? Fresh or salt? May help provide more advice on stocking.

any animals you think we should never stock, or some we should always have? i am trying to convice my boss that we should never carry octos, sharks, rays, nudis, parrotfish, and possibly on get them when someone comes in who really knows what they are doing and wants one. Also, what style display tanks do you guys like? we are going to have a 210 reef, 750 marine predator, 72 bowfront plants, a few nano tanks setup, and possibly others. Do you guys think its better to sell out of a display tank or just make sure it looks nice?
Thanks
Ben

I will tell you the only thing I don't like about the lfs I go to. sometimes I will stand in the store for ten minutes or more without even being acknowledged. Even if you are running around with your head cut off, it only takes two seconds to say "hi, I will be with you in just a sec"

Fishstix - The fact that you want to be the best employee is commendable. Knowledge is power and you will be called upon to provide it. An employee can make or break a LFS quickly if this isn't done. If a customer is interested in fish, asking them what they already have is not insulting to them...they may not know they can't have certain species together or at all because of their setup.

Customers who are new to the hobby should be given more than just verbal instructions on how to set up their new tank. Printed instructions are always better. Some of the aquarium guides supplied by the manufacturers of the products you sell are not exact (they are really advertisements for their products) and they just gloss over what the "newb" really needs. Cycling, water conditioning and testing are essential tidbits that will keep your customers coming back.

Good Luck!

any animals you think we should never stock, or some we should always have? i am trying to convice my boss that we should never carry octos, sharks, rays, nudis, parrotfish, and possibly on get them when someone comes in who really knows what they are doing and wants one
I would also suggest for that list...
Moorish Idols, Flame Scallops and any fish that come from suppliers that use cyanide to catch them.
Do you guys think its better to sell out of a display tank or just make sure it looks nice?
Thanks
IMO (for salt anyway) you should set up the display and leave it be. Constant rotation of stock can eventually lead to a disease being brought in causing more headaches than you will need.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet.

Send them here! If they're new to the hobby, suggest they go online and search for information. Tell them there are dozens of website devoted to fish keeping and they can get a lot of help and advice from them, and you know of one in particular that is is friendly and knowledgable, if they would like the address!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Send them here! If they're new to the hobby, suggest they go online and search for information. Tell them there are dozens of website devoted to fish keeping and they can get a lot of help and advice from them, and you know of one in particular that is is friendly and knowledgable, if they would like the address!
GREAT IDEA!!! 8) 8) 8)

oh yeah dont keep leading them in circles looking for a certain item, if you cant find the item after 5 minutes then ask them for their number and get back to them when it comes in; it's common sense but not many people have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom