New pleco species, Pirate Panaque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerMcAllen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some of you may know that I have been looking for some L-190 Royal Plecs for some time. Today I finally found one and bought it. After acclimation I put him in my specimen container to get some pictures for ID and noticed that one eye was missing. It was clear that this was not something that had happened recently, as there was no visible damage around where the eye should have been. I don't really care because plecs are more smell oriented anyway. I quickly sent an email to my LFS to let them know of the problem so that if something happened to the fish I would not be blamed.

I then got an email back stating that I had been quite lucky to have received this fish, as it was a newly discovered species. He told me it was a Pirate Plec, which had been recently released to the public to coincide with the new pirate movies in theaters. Apparently I should have been charged much more for this rare fish.

The pictures warned taken with my camera, but I will try to get some pictures up next week.

My picture didn't turn out, but I found this image online.

img_682260_0_bfc54e029a49990e406961e377756a65.jpg

It shows a loyal plec rasping on his master's beard.

After a careful survey of the color pattern, my fish does not seem to have the characteristic eye patch marking. This leaves me fairly confident that I do not have a Pirate, but rather a one-eyed L-191 Royal. If you think this was all a hoax, it wasn't. Everything in the first post is entirely true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom