New tank new fry :( help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TerrilouiseCarlin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ive brought a new 30gallon tank about 4 weeks ago, im new to looking after tropical fish, everythings fine, i have 5 mollies 3 platys 2 albino sharks 4 shrimp and a plec only noticed a baby on saturday now i have 10 in a breeding net and i am feeding them crushed flakes and liquifry, need to make sure i am doing the right thing and i really dont want them to die :( thanks

I have platy fry. Right now I have them sectioned off with a tank divider. I just feed them crushed flakes a few times a day and they seem fine. They are just swimming around in there! You are doing great! Don't be surprised if you lose a few though because the weaker ones may die off. I've lost some too. My first batch I only found 5 and only 1 survived but he's doing great!! He's still pretty small so he's in with the new fry and doing awesome. Good luck with your fry! They're so fun to watch! (y)

They all seem strong and are swimming around normal, one of my platys looks as if it is expecting, but for 3 days now there are more fry appearing so i am just adding them to the net how long til she stops giving birth

Just keep adding them to the net. Your platy probably is pregnant. Platies are always pregnant! Mollies too so if you have males and females you'll have more babies for sure! They can also store the sperm so even if you don't have any males they can still have babies for awhile. The fry may even be coming from different mommies too. You never know.

My platie gave birth 14 days ago today but looks ready to drop again can this be possible

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your Fry

Ive brought a new 30gallon tank about 4 weeks ago, im new to looking after tropical fish, everythings fine, i have 5 mollies 3 platys 2 albino sharks 4 shrimp and a plec only noticed a baby on saturday now i have 10 in a breeding net and i am feeding them crushed flakes and liquifry, need to make sure i am doing the right thing and i really dont want them to die :( thanks

Hello Terr...

You can keep your fry in the same tank with the rest of the fish. You just need to feed all the fish a little more and a little more often. Well fed adult fish are seldom interested in the fry. Fry will eat what the others eat. Add some floating plants to the tank. Hornwort is likely the best. It's inexpensive and available at the local pet stores that sell fish. Just drop several individual stems into the tank. They'll grow fast close to the tank lights. It provides food and shelter for the fry and the females. Moving fish is stressful at best and you don't want to injure them.

B

Hello Terr...

You can keep your fry in the same tank with the rest of the fish. You just need to feed all the fish a little more and a little more often. Well fed adult fish are seldom interested in the fry. Fry will eat what the others eat. Add some floating plants to the tank. Hornwort is likely the best. It's inexpensive and available at the local pet stores that sell fish. Just drop several individual stems into the tank. They'll grow fast close to the tank lights. It provides food and shelter for the fry and the females. Moving fish is stressful at best and you don't want to injure them.

B

Uh no. Rule #1 a community tank is NOT a breeding or growout tank. The albino sharks will eat the fry, if the OP wants to raise fry then they are going about it correctly aside from having a growout tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom