News Story - Painted Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you consider a ban on stores that sell painted fish? Results will be shared with my LFS that s

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I refuse to purchase fish from a store that sells painted fish. In the past I have gone to a lfs, had them bag up 2 schools of fish, and as we were getting ready to leave I saw they were selling blue parrots. We left without the fish and never looked back. If enough people do it, it makes a difference.

It definitely should be illegal to dye fish.
If they were able to speak and the process wasn't so painful, they could make the decision as to whether they wanted to be "tattooed" or not. I mean hey, if they want a heart shaped tattoo and could voice their opinion, why not? :?

I will not buy at a store that sells these fish, and have even gotten one LFS to stop carrying them. Good luck with yours.

Painting fish is revolting. I am fed up with people who say "its just a fish". They're living things and I take that seriously.

The LFS owner in the video and the chump at the SPCA are both idiots. I would ban an LFS that sells 'painted' fish in a heart beat.

LOL. That shop that made all these headlines on cnn.com and such is where I shop for my fish stuff!

EDIT: It's worse, I dont shop there- there actually TWO stores in my area that sell them. Steve's Pets is extremely pricey! I actually applied to work there last summer!

I went to the lfs to check out their new shipment of fish. They had received a large assortment of painted mollies. I can see why they carry them, people buy them like there is no tomorrow. Anyway, looks like it may be a demand problem, not a supply problem. Kind of like illegal drugs, their wouldn't be a supply if there wasn't such a demand.

I can tell you one thing, the lfs certainly doesn't offer information. I watched a person buy ten fish from ten different tanks and a couple of dwarf frogs. After they left, I asked the saleperson what type of tank they have, he stated, "I have no idea, I just wanted to sell the fish". At least he was being honest.

Maybe I am too hard on Wallyworld and Petsmart, maybe they aren't much different than the independent local owner. I know one thing, if the lfs warned or educated everyone, they would go out of business, then we would be left with mail order and the big boys. I sure like being able to order thru my lfs, something I can't do at the corporate chains.

Thanks for reading my ramble. I've decided for now to support my lfs and to step off of my soap box issue for now...

Back
Top Bottom