Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Would you consider a ban on stores that sell painted fish? Results will be shared with my LFS that s
Yes 26 89.66%
No 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought that coloring them with dye was illegal? If it is, how come this isn't?

Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
My thing is, THOSE FISH LOOK STUPID in comparison to a naturally beautiful fish like almost all cichlids or even platys and characins. I agree with the woman who said that she is more disturbed by the kind of person who would even want one of those lame looking mollies...

Sicklid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
those fish weret swimming right either..

That just boils up all the emotions...

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
News Story - Painted Fish

My local Fox network nightly news show had a short story on how cool painted fish are. They talked about a fish store in New York that sells them (I live in Kansas). The video showed painted mollies with spots, stripes, and even hearts "painted" on them. The reporter said they were cute and that these types of fish helped the tropical fish industry bring in new hobbyists.

My wife, who occassionally looks at my fish, didn't think much of it, until I told her how painted fish are created.

I am going to make a sign for my local fish store that sells these types of fish ...

Caution: The fish in this tank have been subjected to cruel and harmful processes in order to have this type of coloration and markings. These processes kill more than 75% of the stock they originate from and weaken the immune system of the surviving fish. These fish may look different than natural fish, however, the markings will not last more than a few weeks at best. In conclusion, you are buying a weakened fish that will look much different in a short period of time, if you are lucky they survive that long.

Enough preaching to the choir... I will take this to my LFS and ask them to replace their painted tank with something more responsible and healthy. Wish me luck.

Here are a few links:

Here is an online petition to help stop this practice:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dyedcorys_168.jpg (42.4 KB, 11 views)
ksfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
I am moving this to the Lounge and merging it with the other topic.
Vote for Aquarium Advice

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:51 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus
I don't know jow you could make a ban work. While I am totally against them, for a lot of reasons, the fact is it does bring sales to the store, they may not otherwise get. If i were to boycott store that sell dyed and tattooed fish, I would have nowhere to purchase products. I belong to an aquarium society, so most of my purchases are made at club auctions, and my boycott would have little effect on local LFS business.
I would suggest that a ban on store would not be practical, although, a ban on the sale of such fish, could possibly be legislated, although that would not be easy. If you could get the LFS to post that sign, that would be a major accomplishment. Removal of demand would definitely be the best solution. Consequently, I wasn't able to answer the poll as worded. Good luck with your efforts.
Join a fish club. Don't have one in your area? Start one.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
I do not want to actually ban the LFS. I just want them to understand how strongly people feel about this issue. I'm not sure it is a demand issue. In my community, it is a supply side issue. If these fish were not available, people would have no other choice but to purchase other fish, at least in my community. Plus, the majority of people who buy these fish are doing so based on a lack of knowledge about the subject. They come to the LFS having no idea what they want or need. In other words, they buy painted fish on impulse.

My LFS prides itself on educating their customers... I am going to take the educational approach with them on this one.

Thanks for you input!
ksfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
I wouldn't go to these stores if I had another option. Instead of banning, I think that petition is a great idea. The aquarium industry has grown of the last 20 years or so with more passionate and knowledgeable people. I think we could actually make it illegal...there are so many people that feel strongly about this.
Join the Eastern PA/Greater Philadelphia Forum! Click here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=7825

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
I've only seen injected or dyed fish at my LFS once. The folks working there didn't seem to be pushing them and were giving realistic reviews atating that the color won't last and that it was either injected or dyed. I expressed my displeasure at them carrying these fish as well. I haven't seen them there since and I'm sure that other people weren't happy either. I'm just glad to see them gone from my neck of the woods at least for now.
It swims therefore it is
20 Gallon planted community
4 neon tetras
3 head and tail light tetras
4 white cloud minnows
2 marble hatchets
4 poleatus cories
1 freshwater flounder
1 japonica shrimp
4 Otos
flushingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
really why are dying chicks illegal? which is what, dipping them in some dye, where as fish are tatooed!

people are stupid, if people didn't consider fish "just a fish" the SPCA should have done something

"Atrocities are not less atrocities when they occur in laboratories and are called medical research."
George Bernard Shaw
hc8719 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com