Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2014, 04:40 AM   #141
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Out of interest is it worth getting a TDS meter? They look cheap. Main one I need is kh due to my soft water, I usually don't bother with gh (test is old anyways). Tank is just a community tank, nothing special.
RO water TDS Level

Gh/Kh/TDS (not pretty but it covers some ground)

(A reason why my answers are slightly more elaborate now)

J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:51 AM   #142
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
I thought it was cheap and I find it really useful. Fun fact - if you keep your TDS same between tanks, you can transfer fish without acclimating. I use the meter almost every day for this and that. It was only 20 USD (and I saw later that there is a $15 model).
Tds stick is useful for source water only, you can use it to gauge a tank but don't rely on it explicitly. I fell foul to that. It's possible to have tds 120 in two tanks with pH 6.5 and pH 7.5.

Error made in year one of RO unit. You try to just match the water to a tds and you will end up with problems, that is user experience not a fact found in a book.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:57 AM   #143
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mcpeak View Post
Sodium is Na it can appear alone as, sodium (Na) alkaline metal.
Sodium chloride is Na-Cl. Sodium bicarbonate Na-HCO3.

Sodium Salts - Salts | Sigma-Aldrich

(Whole page of sodium salts)
What is it that you are trying to tell me here??
I added NaCl to the tap water. I measured TDS before and after. I think you might have missed the details of the experiment. I really am not sure of your point.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:57 AM   #144
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Tds stick is useful for source water only, you can use it to gauge a tank but don't rely on it explicitly. I fell foul to that. It's possible to have tds 120 in two tanks with pH 6.5 and pH 7.5.

Error made in year one of RO unit. You try to just match the water to a tds and you will end up with problems, that is user experience not a fact found in a book.
That is true, it only measures conductive ions.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:05 AM   #145
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What is it that you are trying to tell me here??
I added NaCl to the tap water. I measured TDS before and after. I think you might have missed the details of the experiment. I really am not sure of your point.
It reads wrong, I read it as sodium is Na-Cl. Not the sodium used in the experiment outlined above was actually Na-cl.

(There is a difference I can see) so there is a point. Follow through the tds link above, you will see why I make such elaborate answers here nowadays.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:18 AM   #146
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It reads wrong, I read it as sodium is Na-Cl. Not the sodium used in the experiment outlined above was actually Na-cl.
? Table salt. Sodium Chloride. NaCl. This is what I used in my gallon of water. It was at 14 TDS. Added salt. Now at X TDS whatever my numbers were. It's completely valid. Both Na and Cl are conductive and will be read by the TDS meter. I'm not skipping around to different bodies of water etc. I am taking a body of water, adding one single component, and testing it again.
I am getting frustrated explaining myself over and over. If you are objecting to my method it needs to be stated more clearly.

Quote:
(There is a difference I can see) so there is a point. Follow through the tds link above, you will see why I make such elaborate answers here nowadays.

I know that TDS is not gH/kH. I could add a kilo of table salt to my water and not get a gH or kH reading out of it. I am not using a gH or kH test on the water, I am using a TDS meter.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:56 AM   #147
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
RO water TDS Level

Gh/Kh/TDS (not pretty but it covers some ground)

(A reason why my answers are slightly more elaborate now)

Thanks, so would you get one again?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:02 AM   #148
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it's awesome. I use it every day. It actually gives me an idea of how my ferts are being consumed. Ferts go in, TDS goes up, check again before next ferts.

I also transfer things between my 10g and my display without acclimating due to them having same TDS, but I do acknowledge that JMcpeak is saying this is a bad idea. I am just not sure if he is talking about TDS or gH/kH as those are quite different. My independent research on the topic has indicated that this should work as trouble with acclimation is actually osmotic shock and not pH shock.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:09 AM   #149
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Nitrite toxicity discussion

Quote:
I think it's awesome. I use it every day. It actually gives me an idea of how my ferts are being consumed. Ferts go in, TDS goes up, check again before next ferts.

I also transfer things between my 10g and my display without acclimating due to them having same TDS, but I do acknowledge that JMcpeak is saying this is a bad idea. I am just not sure if he is talking about TDS or gH/kH as those are quite different. My independent research on the topic has indicated that this should work as trouble with acclimation is actually osmotic shock and not pH shock.

Thanks, yes that would be handy - which is all I need to know

Edit - want to know for an answer I should say for my own research. I don't want to drag way off topic
Old 03-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://actavet.vfu.cz/pdf/201180030309.pdf

This paper about the danio and guppy is a really interesting read. This article really emphasises that the toxicity levels is dependent on species. The the guppy being the most sensitive between these to.

Chloride levels during these tests remained at 19mg/l throughout and the 96hLC50 (the lethal concentration required to kill half the subjects over 96hrs) for the guppies was 30 something mg/l

How would we calculate the 96hLC50 if chloride was 5.5mg/l there must be a way but it's going to be too scientific for us. However, 30mg/l is 30ppm right? I don't think this is very likely to happen with fish in a tank. Maybe during a fish less cycle.

Tags
discus, nitrite, toxicity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com