Nitrite toxicity discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I PMed Rak and invited him to come science with us, don't know if you guys have seen him around. But his posts indicate to me that he might be interested ;) He seems to be a new guy.

Thx for the invite!! :) I look forward to learning from you guys!!

There is a lot of info in this thread so I haven't gone through all of it yet but I look forward to doing so. I realize it may be winding down but I thought you guys might find this link interesting..

https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/getFactSheet/whichfactsheet/110/

This may just be stuff you already discussed but I figured I would throw it out there in case it contains something helpful. Looking forward to future discussions. BTW I recently bought a TDS meter....I think I will fit right in here...:lol:

I'll jump back in shortly, I have been mega busy with work and now I have a sick kid, so I'm somewhat distracted.
Welcome Rak! I think you will be among friends :) I love my TDS meter!

Dela or rak if there is any subject you would like to bring up or questions you have always wondered about feel free to suggest. :)

Oh yeah I want to talk about TDS big time. I'd rather hit it more generally though. Although I suppose that history tells us that a general topic meanders a bit. Well you know me, you pose the question and I'll get involved :p

I think that is a great starting point for a discussion. I have also been reading about TDS and its impact on osmoregulation. There is a theory out there that pH shock is a myth and its really changes in TDS that cause osmotic stress/shock. So I wouldn't mind exploring this as a group too. :)

I think that is a great starting point for a discussion. I have also been reading about TDS and its impact on osmoregulation. There is a theory out there that pH shock is a myth and its really changes in TDS that cause osmotic stress/shock. So I wouldn't mind exploring this as a group too. :)

Yes this is correct. Been looking in to osmoregulation myself. Took a while to get my head around and had to ask ask an expert on here.

Go to search and look up 'osmotic pressure' it's a good read. Only short

I've probably read many of these same articles. I'm quite interested in it because of course i was taught about the good 'ol pH shock. Since learning about TDS I've transferred a lot of guppy fry between my tanks with same TDS with little regard for the rest.

L O L

I just got mine in the mail yesterday, with the same calibration solution

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just saw this thread. Very interesting stuff! Being new to this hobby, I was under the impression nitrites in any amount were considered lethal. So, I mistakenly added animals to my tank mid cycle. 2 ADF from my 5 gallon tank who were being bullied by my betta. Then after a week added 7 neons ( NOT a good choice for fish in cycling). So over the past couple of weeks I've had nitrite readings anywhere from .25 or less to off the charts unreadable. I've done as many as 3 50-75% wc a day. Still doing 1 50% a day now for the last few days to keep the nitrites under 0.25. So, I'm almost there. Fishwise, I'm down to 2 neons (3 died from poisoning, and 2 the frogs caught and had for dinner, they were smaller ones). My frogs seem unphased by all this. Its crazy. The remaining neons seem fine, but I expect them to not live at this point, but they look good, eating and all. I just keep changing the water :sigh: Anyway, I'm interested to read more about what species are better at adapting to toxins. It should be a part of newbie fish owner articles!

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

(It's all about the fish)

This thread has taken an interesting turn, there seems to be a lot of supporting data for fish osmoregulation. This is a finely tuned parameter in fish. I guess it's due to the chloride cells in the gills being able to cope with only a certain degree or range of hardness.

Water hardness effects the regulation of blood calcium levels in the blood, this is assisted/aided by diet. The pH shift in the water, or more correctly the ion imbalance in the water creates a pH shift in the blood this will also damage kidneys and can effect eggs developing properly.

Species tolerance varies, both in coping mechanism and degree of change.

PH shock is acidosis or alkalosis, both can and will kill.

Back
Top Bottom