Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #191
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

I think that is a great starting point for a discussion. I have also been reading about TDS and its impact on osmoregulation. There is a theory out there that pH shock is a myth and its really changes in TDS that cause osmotic stress/shock. So I wouldn't mind exploring this as a group too.

Rak9378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:32 AM   #192
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rak9378 View Post
I think that is a great starting point for a discussion. I have also been reading about TDS and its impact on osmoregulation. There is a theory out there that pH shock is a myth and its really changes in TDS that cause osmotic stress/shock. So I wouldn't mind exploring this as a group too.

Yes this is correct. Been looking in to osmoregulation myself. Took a while to get my head around and had to ask ask an expert on here.

Go to search and look up 'osmotic pressure' it's a good read. Only short

Old 03-25-2014, 05:17 AM   #193
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rak9378 View Post
I've probably read many of these same articles. I'm quite interested in it because of course i was taught about the good 'ol pH shock. Since learning about TDS I've transferred a lot of guppy fry between my tanks with same TDS with little regard for the rest.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #194
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

New toy!!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396047153.945483.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	230602
Rak9378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #195
Aquarium Advice Addict

L O L

I just got mine in the mail yesterday, with the same calibration solution

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #196
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just saw this thread. Very interesting stuff! Being new to this hobby, I was under the impression nitrites in any amount were considered lethal. So, I mistakenly added animals to my tank mid cycle. 2 ADF from my 5 gallon tank who were being bullied by my betta. Then after a week added 7 neons ( NOT a good choice for fish in cycling). So over the past couple of weeks I've had nitrite readings anywhere from .25 or less to off the charts unreadable. I've done as many as 3 50-75% wc a day. Still doing 1 50% a day now for the last few days to keep the nitrites under 0.25. So, I'm almost there. Fishwise, I'm down to 2 neons (3 died from poisoning, and 2 the frogs caught and had for dinner, they were smaller ones). My frogs seem unphased by all this. Its crazy. The remaining neons seem fine, but I expect them to not live at this point, but they look good, eating and all. I just keep changing the water :sigh: Anyway, I'm interested to read more about what species are better at adapting to toxins. It should be a part of newbie fish owner articles!

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #197
Aquarium Advice Addict

(It's all about the fish)

This thread has taken an interesting turn, there seems to be a lot of supporting data for fish osmoregulation. This is a finely tuned parameter in fish. I guess it's due to the chloride cells in the gills being able to cope with only a certain degree or range of hardness.

Water hardness effects the regulation of blood calcium levels in the blood, this is assisted/aided by diet. The pH shift in the water, or more correctly the ion imbalance in the water creates a pH shift in the blood this will also damage kidneys and can effect eggs developing properly.

Species tolerance varies, both in coping mechanism and degree of change.

PH shock is acidosis or alkalosis, both can and will kill.

J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discus, nitrite, toxicity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com