Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

No NFL season next year?

The more and more you look at it the more you start to realize that there is probably not going to be a NFL season next year. It is starting to get very bleak. To be honest I think the owners and the players make too much money. How about both sides taking a cut and make tickets much more affordable. JMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Agreed, I'm interested to see what starts to happen over these next few weeks. Honestly I think there is way to much money and to many people involved for it to phase away, but money comes first so who knows. Remember some years back in the NBA when all the players went on strike for MORE money, just plain dumb. My father raised me around football and I love it, I would hate to see anything happen because of these money issues.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Remember the MLB strike? It killed the league and it took years to recover (image and dollars). It would be such a shame and so much more detrimental to the NFL. I am going to be so disappointed if they strike. As soon as the superbowl ends, I muss it and can't wait for the next season.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think the NFL is too strong now to diminish if they don't have a 2011 season. If it did happen, I think 2012 would just be a bigger year. Also, it would really help the popularity of baseball, especially during the Fall Classic. I am a much bigger baseball fan than I am football, so I really can't say anything about NFL getting paid too much (go A-Rod!).

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's a lot of posing and saber rattling at this point. They'll get something done before the season really gets going. The NFL and the NFLPA would be stupid to allow any kind of work stoppage. I think DeMaurice Smith is an idiot.

They need to put a rookie salary structure in place. A top 10 draft pick kills a team's salary cap keeping them from making the rest of the team better. It's also ridiculous to pay an unproven rookie more than an All-Pro veteran.

Forget the 18 game season. It's a stupid money grab.

Quit bickering over the money. Make the owners open their books if they're crying broke. Cut the top player salaries too. The minimum salaries aren't too bad considering the length of the average football career, but when a player makes more in a month than most people will make in their entire lives, there's something wrong.
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Coming from the UK I'm familiar with a sport where the players earn that much money. At a time when I was on 12,000 pounds per YEAR there was a player signed to the nations biggest soccer club earning 112,000 a WEEK.

I've been an NFL nut since the mid-80's (when it started showing regularly in the UK) and I honestly don't think anybody would not want there to be a season. I think it's a bunch of empty threats. If they do, hey, College Football to center stage.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I remember the last strike season. Sure do not want to see that again.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Being a die-hard Redskins fan, it wouldn't hurt me at all to be without footbal for a year. Heck, maybe even two. No more Dan Snyder, no more Shanahan (him and his son/offensive coordinator), and no more Albert Haynesworth. Didja hear about Dumb Al's latest with the waitress? I think both of them were stupid in that case.

And Danny boy's latest with the bulying the small newspaper and playing the anti semitism card. He's really a piece of work and has totally destroyed this franchise. OK. Enuf of my rant.

Still, I can really take a year off of all the big egos and my perennially losing team.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
Being a die-hard Redskins fan, it wouldn't hurt me at all to be without footbal for a year. Heck, maybe even two. No more Dan Snyder, no more Shanahan (him and his son/offensive coordinator), and no more Albert Haynesworth. Didja hear about Dumb Al's latest with the waitress? I think both of them were stupid in that case.

And Danny boy's latest with the bulying the small newspaper and playing the anti semitism card. He's really a piece of work and has totally destroyed this franchise. OK. Enuf of my rant.

Still, I can really take a year off of all the big egos and my perennially losing team.
Amen to all that, I mean really!? Rex grossman? Really? Jack Kent cook is rolling over in his grave hail to the deadskins
Old 02-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

lol. Rex was good, the Chicago fans are pretty brutal though and they 'broke' him...

With the problems I feel he has mentally (caused by Chicago) I think he should probably not be in the game now for his own sake. I've been a Bears fan since the mid-80's and was pretty shocked when the fans started chanting to have him replaced during a game when I could clearly see he was operating with no OL protection... Griese did no better and Orton eventually got replaced by Cutler, and it's only when Cutler got protection midway through 2010 that the Bears started showing some. But yeah, Grossman is damaged good now. Still feel sorry for the guy though, he wasn't the problem.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com