No one wants to talk about fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome!

We talk fish here...lots of fish, and snails and shrimp and all manner of SW!

Mostly I get a polite question and I see the person trying to choke down shock and/or laughter. You raise shrimp...to eat...how big are they...so small you can't really see them, how does a person get into a hobby such as this, arent there bigger ones you can actually see... those cost how much per shrimp... and you don't eat them...people buy them? You ship them in the mail!!!!!!!!????????? :eek:

Snails [quizical stare] .......from the garden? :facepalm:

y'all know what I am talking about :ermm:

Welcome!

We talk fish here...lots of fish, and snails and shrimp and all manner of SW!

Mostly I get a polite question and I see the person trying to choke down shock and/or laughter. You raise shrimp...to eat...how big are they...so small you can't really see them, how does a person get into a hobby such as this, arent there bigger ones you can actually see... those cost how much per shrimp... and you don't eat them...people buy them? You ship them in the mail!!!!!!!!????????? :eek:

EXACTLY! No one can fathom why I gave 10g to a puffer the size of my fingernail either lol

Caleb

It was great the last place I worked people would ask me what's new or what's happening in my aquarium everyday. I miss that. It's always crazy to see the look on people's faces when you tell them how to really take care of fish. Of course I do it politely and more as guidance because they didn't get it from the pet store.

Hah, I heard this yesterday. Bought a new mystery snail, neighbor asked what I had in the brown bag, and proceeded to tell me for $5 I can have all the garden snails I want from his place

Jesse

Hah, I heard this yesterday. Bought a new mystery snail, neighbor asked what I had in the brown bag, and proceeded to tell me for $5 I can have all the garden snails I want from his place

Jesse

Haha!!

I like snails. Just not the ramshorns that came w some java moss!!

Anyone else think ramshorns have actually been in every tank, ever. At least 1 ramshorn, has graced just abt every tank ive ever had with its presence, at least once. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anyone else think ramshorns have actually been in every tank, ever. At least 1 ramshorn, has graced just abt every tank ive ever had with its presence, at least once. Lol

I've never had any actually. Not even pond snails. All my tanks are snail free except the puffer tank and mystery snails which are not invasive.

Caleb

I've never had any actually. Not even pond snails. All my tanks are snail free except the puffer tank and mystery snails which are not invasive.

Caleb

Thats awsome, man. Its funny that now i keep a few tanks infested with them to feed the army of asassins i have, lol. Cant believe youve never had a hitchhiker get in. Your blessed, caleb. Lol

Thats awsome, man. Its funny that now i keep a few tanks infested with them to feed the army of asassins i have, lol. Cant believe youve never had a hitchhiker get in. Your blessed, caleb. Lol

Lol I must be. Especially since most my plants came from eBay. Just a quick rinse and they went in.

Caleb

We were fine until we got the java moss for our 10g. We kept the one snail we got w the moss for a while. He was w our female betta for a bit. Good at cleaning algae but a poop machine. So much poop. He was only w her for four days.

Put him back in 10g, then later on, practically overnight, baby snail explosion. We finally decided OUT with him so we put him in the bird bath. He's still alive. A week later.

I hope he doesn't lay eggs what if a bird carried him or a baby off and got them in a local stream?? Is that possible?? I don't want to cause an invasive species issue!!!

After we took him out to the birdbath, (this was about a week ago now) we drained the tank. Rinsed it well refilled, put the decor back in, and adopted Mr. Blue betta.

There are some baby snails in there... I tried to get one off the wall of the tank and I just knocked it upside down on the sand accidentally. It righted itself soon enough.

Then yesterday we did a 35% ish pwc on the 20g & afterwards we noticed a ring of something floating on top of the water in the new trashcan we now use for water changes. It was... baby snails. Ugh. They were in there after draining the 10g tank. We're hoping they dried out in between. We put a few decor items from our 20g in there to sit while we vacuumed the sand and put them back in after. We're hoping we didn't transfer snails to the 20g. Hopefully using the same siphon in the 10g and all our other tanks didn't spread snails.

That being said, we've had a nerite snail disaster. First one we bought was already dead. The second died a few weeks after we got him. No more snails, at least for a while.

The java moss DID come from a display tank or a tank with fish for sale from our lfs. So. We kinda expected snails. But not this huge disaster :/

So it's official. I can't talk to anyone I work with about my tank and it drives me nuts. It just brings on multiple people cracking jokes and bringing me down. They all think it's a stupid hobby even tho I try to explain its much more then just a fish in a glass box.

I'm lucky enough to work in two labs where my boss, my former boss, and 3/4 of my coworkers keep fish. :) We talk fish all the time :lol:

I took a job closer to home by an hour...but I traded off good people who loved to hear about what I did to my tank everyday and what was coming next.. to people who think it's a joke. I guess I missed the whole convo last night. I would love to join in instead of just complaining about it haha.

My neighbor has a planted tank!!! I saw it through his window........

I want to talk to him about it but I don't really know him.....

I feel awkward lol.

My neighbor has a planted tank!!! I saw it through his window........

I want to talk to him about it but I don't really know him.....

I feel awkward lol.

Regarding the neighbor, you may have to start your rapport slowly and build it up.
If possible, join a local fish/aquarium club. You will find numerous like minded folks to exchange ideas and goodies with.
I don't about fish stuff at home or work. Too much to explain to those that don't really care about it. I occasionally pull up YouTube videos of my tank at work. I get some oohs and aahs but no real dialog on the details. Which is fine with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom