Not a fish, but so cute!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Look at this! Will you just look at what I'm getting on October 13th! I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback, he doesn't have a ridge, but he just turned nine. We decided to get him a little brother. This one has a ridge. I just can't wait!

Attachments

• newpuppy.jpg
    newpuppy.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 67
  • newpuppy2.jpg
    newpuppy2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 89
I have seen these dogs before and they are wonderful. Does anyone know what they bred for--why the ridge?

Hara said:
Ridgies are cool, do you lurecourse?

Hara, what do you mean "lurecourse?"

Answer to questions: Ridgebacks were originally created by breeding mastifs, greyhounds, bloodhounds, great danes and the african razorback terrior (or hottentot dog) and are also known as the african lion hound. They are now bred for the ridge as it has become the breed standard, but they were originally bred to hunt lions (in packs of three) and to protect children. Check out the links for more info.

http://justiceridge.com/id2.html
http://www.lamingtonhouse.com/about_dogs.htm#hist

Hara, I found an answer... lurecourse, also lure chasing, running after fake rabbits. Uh, no... but it might be fun to learn. My current ridgy is too busy sleeping on one of his three or four padded dog beds under a blanket and being fed bones, oh... that's when we're not off to Petco or Western Ranch Supply! He really is spoiled. We do go for walks, but he's not really a runner. Sometimes we go camping and I let him chase real rabbits, but that's because I know he won't catch them anyway. But it's too cool to see him run full out when he gets a sight.

Attachments

• simba.jpg
    simba.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 33
Beautiful dog! The dog in my avatar is a Ridgeback mix (she is a VERY mixed up dog, in all senses of the phrase! :D ). RR are gorgeous dogs, if I ever decide to get purebred dogs in the future, RR are at the top of my list!

Very cute :mrgreen: :mrgreen: We are in the process of deciding what kind of new pup to get to replace our late beloved Snoop. So far Australian Shepherd is at the top of the list.

I lure course my borzoi and saluki. I used to say the dogs went to dogshows for me and I go lure coursing for them. They love it, and act like you have taken them to an amusement park.

I have the dogs, a cat, a parrot, two fish tanks and I'm working on a lizard. My son has one and I take care of it, but he's moving soon. My husband said if I want another pet, I should think about giving up one. He didn't agree that all my potted plants are pets, so I guess I'll wait on the lizard.

Meredith, why don't you have a dog? I don't think I could live without one.
Kimberly, all my dogs will be rr's. They have the best personality.
Talloulou, I also looked at Australian Shepards and Healers (spl?), but the ridgeback has what I wanted in a companion as protector. My husband travels. BTW, cool screen name, isn't that the name of Junior's mother in Cool Runnings?

I am so jealous. I've been looking at Ridgeback pups for over a year now and actually have the breeder picked out. Now I just need to be able to afford the pup. Beautiful dog Sharon :)

That sounds like my kind of dog. Big, loyal, smart with a sense of humor :) I might have to consider one of those for my next pup.

((and I see you, or someone in your house, is a Myst fan, how do you like the new one?))

I've researched quite a few breeds. The one thing really cool about them is their short hair! They don't attract fleas, they don't smell bad and you can hardly see the dog hair around the house.

Here's a new pic. It reminds me of one of those funny birthday cards with the dogs that have huge heads and little bodies!

Attachments

• tsume.jpg
    tsume.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 20
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom