Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2006, 01:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not having local news STINKS!!!!

Okay, so I hear via my college's unofficial forum that a Deputy was shot maybe three streets down from the apartment I am at and the person is still at large. Well, I turn to the closest thing we have for a news channel. Nothing, nothing, weather, nothing, nothing. Finally at the very END there was a 15 SECOND blurb that said shots were still being fired in what is being called a "standoff," and "we will sign on again tomorrow morning for the news at 5am." ARG! I want to know what the heck is going on. I want to know if this person tries to come toward my apartment. Now I just have to wait until tomorrow. Great. The only other news we get is on the local channel and it is taped at 3:30 in the afternoon. Okay, there is live news in the morning, but still. Humph.

Sorry for the vent.

Oh, I just got an update from a friend with a scanner. They've called in police from a neighboring county (one is a friend of mine). The deputy was shot twice but nothing fatal has been called in. I really hope he will be okay. They are beginning to close off more roads.

Old 01-30-2006, 01:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
That totally sucks not having local news. I can't imagine it. What do they think, you should find these things out once the guy has entered into your neighbourhood? Insane. Don't blame you for the rant. I'd be pissed too.

I hope your friend will be fine, as well as anybody else that might be in the line of fire.

-----------
Site Administrator
Old 01-30-2006, 01:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, good news. I found out (again from my friend with the police scanner) that the man was apprehended. That is nice to know. However, I've seen newscasts extended for situations like these. I guess anyone in the boondocks just isn't important enough to spend the extra money on.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It does suck not having local news! A few years back we had a big earthquake practically centered in Olympia. The only news around here focused on Seattle. It's like Olympia, Lacey, and Tumwater don' t exist.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I can't even imagine what that is like! We are not a large city and we have two local news stations.

-----------
Site Administrator
Old 01-30-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

talloulou, 8O how terrible! I can't imagine going through an earthquake. That must be a scary experience.

I thought I'd add, I watched the local news this morning. *sigh* nadda thing. Thank goodness for friends with police scanners. BTW, the deputy is doing well. He was only hit in the arm. I am so glad no one was *seriously* hurt last night. No thanks to news casts
Old 01-30-2006, 11:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubysoho
talloulou, 8O how terrible! I can't imagine going through an earthquake. That must be a scary experience.

I thought I'd add, I watched the local news this morning. *sigh* nadda thing. Thank goodness for friends with police scanners. BTW, the deputy is doing well. He was only hit in the arm. I am so glad no one was *seriously* hurt last night. No thanks to news casts
I normally get the local/important news via Livejournal for the my cities community. It's mainly college students.. but normally with enough people... you find out stuff.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:45 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really think it is interesting how fast information can spread now.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:26 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Skyrmir Send a message via AIM to Skyrmir
I've been out there in backwoods towns myself. A police scanner is better than any news channel most of the time. Of course I've been in Denver watching the news in time to say "Quick look out the window! There goes the car chase..."

Given the choices I think the best bet is the small town just outside (NOT touching) a nice big city. Gives you the nearby resources of a large city, with the greater safety and comfort of a small town.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com