off topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the headsup..

Im new here so the not answering a subject.. Ive only seen about 5..lol.. Ive said somthing in 2.. I have already been refuted. but that is to be expected.. hope things go well...

Well, I don't think its rude to read posts without making a needless comment. Usually when I read a post, if I don't have something constructive to say, I don't say it. (this is not always the case :D but mostly) Sometimes I need the support and sympathy of the people here, and sometimes I need answers. I am glad that the people here can tell the difference and post accordingly.

Often folks will post "yeah, I know what you mean" type posts and that gets irritating to someone who is looking for a real answer, so in general if I do not know or can't offer anything constructive I do not post at all. We get complaints when members seem to post a non-answer too often. If I see a post that has sat unanswered I will "bump" it to get it back to the top, but you should not bump your own posts more than once.

I'll move this over to The Lounge since it is, as indicated, off topic. :wink:

Edit: Beat me to it, Malkore!

im sure if someone had advice to give that they would give it, i dont think anyones holding out. i really dont know too much about all the different species of fish, i just post what id like to find out, and what i know. i dont get upset if noone knows what im trying to find out.

here is a example! andos99
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have two female black mollies and three 6 week old fry in a 55 gal freshwater aquarium with a variety of other smaller fish all doing very well. However, one of my black mollies has a silver coloration around her gills and on her belly. As far as I know she's always had some silver on her (I've had her about two months) but it seems to be spreading. She appears to be healthy and eats like a molly should, but this silver on her has me concerned. Does she have some kind of disease, should I pull her out? Any insight would be great

am i right? salt bath would be best?

My firefish stays behind this one rock in my tank all day and has disbanded his usual eating habits. He kinda pulls himself along the bottom sometimes and hasnt been swimming around either for the past few days. My two clowns are fine and all water parameters are good. Is this just his time to go?? Thanks

this is in unanwsered post!! can anyone help him??? teenreefer

Also, wait 24 hours before bumping your own post. It really irritates me when someone posts something, and then 5 mins later asks "what no one knows the answer?"
But my favorite is the 2:30 am post that gets bumped by the creator 5 times before 3:00am rolls around. ;)

I for one frown on posting in posts when I have nothing useful to add. What good is someone simply posting "ya what they said" or "hm. no idea but im sure someone will come along and anwser". It does the person asking the question no good and it does the person posting the frivilous message no good except to increase a meaningless post count number. On some sites posting a ton of messages like that will earn you the title of spammer. If everyone responded to every message they ever looked at these forums would be useless and very hard to extract any meaningful information. If you had to sort thru 20+ replys until you got to one that acutally had some information in I think you would change your mind that everyone needs to post in every thread they visit.

Oh and not everyone has an opinon on everything.

An Opinion Poll is asking your "opinion" via a vote count. It really isn't necessary to post a written opinion unless of course, you want folks to know or have something of substance to speak about.

To give an example, there are two polls running on the homepage. The FW and OT pics of the month. At the end of each pic, there is a suggestion that if you want to comment on them to do so in the appropriate forum.

I've been a member for several months and I have yet to see this done.

I would also like to add that given the specific example above. Any reply to those polls about the photo of the month contest will be deleted. In the past different people would post discussing the photos and at some times talking favorably about one while talking bad about another photo. Its best in the contest polls to keep the poll clean of posts but if you feel the need to dicuss a particular photo to do it outside of the poll thread.

lol malkore you remember that uh. i think my wifie is trying to say with all the people on this site. it would be nice to see," hey i will see what i can findout for u." i have five books here there are like my fish bibles we look up what ever we can find any kind of hint to lead them in the correct direction or search the web, ask our 2 helpful lfs and here to get some help to the less experienced hobbist.

saying "let me see if I can find some info on your problem" and doing it, is VERY different than saying, " your in a pickle aren't ya...Good luck!"

If everyone responded to every message they ever looked at these forums would be useless and very hard to extract any meaningful information.

Its nice to know that people are there for you, and want to support you, but when I have a real problem, I would rather no response than a bunch of posts saying that hopefully some one will come along and help.

I'm not trying to be facetious or cruel zilla and wife, but if you think it's that simple to answer every question then why not go out and buy that book and respond to these unanswered posts?

The fact is that every fish cannot be saved. Many people expect that there's a magic pill which simply does not exist. The problem becomes compounded by not having enough information given, or in the case of the last post you referenced, not even understanding what the question is.

I'm not trying to be smug. Very few of us have the time or patience to respond to every question with a meaningful answer.

HTH

well i am not trying to be mean, but i agree with zilla and his wife. why is it that all the advisors are jumping into this topic? it is like you all want to jump zillas wife for her comments. hope that isn't to upfront for you advisors.

Let me get this straight lilfishette!!! You join today and your first and only post is to criticise the advisors? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah well i have came here many times as visitor and finally decided to become a member. i have had similar questions as zilla and read all of his post. sorry, but like i said not trying to be mean!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom