Okay is it just me..OR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christmasfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are there a lot of people posting here and at other boards wanting to breed bettas that barely have ever even kept them?
ie.....
"I just bought two bettas and..." "I want to breed bettas, how do you do it.....?" "I have two bettas in the only tank I own that is unheated and my stupid bettas won't mate! What's wrong?"
Was there something on TV again? Or some kinda of "pet of the millinium article?"

Just what the world neeeds..FISH "backyard breeders!" Least betta fry are so tender it takes a lot to get survivors for the experienced. Or they'd get so common they'd be sold with gas fill-ups!!
My 8 year old talked to Betta people and saved for 18 months to prepare to be a betta breeder. She joined the IBC and has help from some of thier respected members. They are waaay hookin her up!
Yet people over 15 deecide to do it in a day. ~siiiiiiiiiiiiigh~ :?

I think its just maybe the idea that quick/easy money can be made from this. Truth is its not quick and not easy and the money is not much.

I think it has to do with the fact that (at least around here) we are suddenly seeing females available. Up until recently you never saw a female in a LFS.

I have noticed this in the threads and I know that breeding bettas is not like breeding other fish, and I don't think people realize the work involved, and the space for all of the jars.

breeder plaugue

Okay, it isn't just me...

I had to vent it it here because I cannot even bring myself to answer the last few similar posts....("if you caaant saaay nuffin niiiIiice don say nuffin atall" :wink: )
I don't want to be "discouraging", but I don't want to ENCOURAGE them in sucha half baked notion even a little! Especially when they can't get them to breed. I put any of my gourami or bettas in the same vicinity for a second! An it's frytown! And they were hard to raise and an expensive attempt (because we were not ready at all yet! Nor yet planning for it).
I think I'll go post it as a newb question for all the experienced people to seem to bash at me.....then there are no hurt feelings and chastisement is able to be given indirect...yeo..that what I'll do!

Thats pretty resonsible of an 8yr old! I havn't even joined IBC yet, i'll get around to it one day lol

But ya I have noticed it to. I belong to a big betta group and there are always ppl coming on saying they can't raise there fry or there bettas wont spawn. And when we ask what they are doing, they say stuff that is a dead give away that they didn't reasearch first. Like " my fry keep dying, they wont eat the flakes" :roll:

ashley

Heheh! No,no,no, you need to FIND big bob's Fry Flakes. " And you just keep them all in the same tank. Testing isn't required..they are sooo low maintainance.
Hmmph! It rewaly seems like there is an above average number of these posts this month especially about bettas. In aol groups to there is a week run in new people wanting to breed bettas. What color or type? "Huh" How big is the breeding tank, what temp is the fry tank. "Heaters!" "More than ONE TANK!"

Heheh! Actually I can laugh only until nausea sets in. Poor fishies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom