Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-25-2004, 09:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Discus need to be in bigger groups than 1 or 2. I also would not put them in that tank unless you want to devote the tank to a small collection of adults, but again, that's my opinion only.

Like I said, look into pearl, moonlight, and snakeskin gouramis. Snakeskins get to an admirable size, though pearls are my personal favorites out of those three.

As far as "sharks" go, a single red-tail black shark (Labeo bicolor, I think) should fit the bill. Very attractive fish, though they do not get along with their own kind or with other "sharks."

Alternately, try to find or order some Puntius denisonii, red-lined torpedo barbs. Some of the most beautiful barbs and indeed freshwater fish I have ever seen. To see a school of them (6" I think is the maximum size) in a well-maintained tank would be quite a sight! However, I have not kept them myself so I cannot give you an opinion on their safety alongside any long-finned fish.

Also, guppies and platies would be fine somewhere in that original mix, IMO.

55g freshwater - tetras, catfish, loaches
10g freshwater - firebelly newts
Old 05-25-2004, 09:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
well, you certainly have enough room for discus, though I really have no idea how'd they do with small schools of little guys. pm BrianNY about this, he seems to be the expert. Discus are pretty picky when it comes to water conditions.

That'll do pig, that'll do
Old 05-25-2004, 10:06 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Wow!! What a deal--I'm jealous!! It sounds like your peaceful tropical tank is coming together. I would skip the discus for now. Have you given any thought to rainbow fish or kribs?

Old 05-25-2004, 10:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Wow... Great deal, how much do you want for the 40? Just kidding, I am so broke...
Schooling fish - I just really like the tiger barbs, you will never get bored looking at them, but if you want a less agressive fish, a school of 15-20 Rasboras just make a wondeful display...
Old 05-25-2004, 10:45 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus
Discus are wonderful and I wholeheartedly recommend them, but in a species-only tank. I think a 75 is a great way to go if you want to try them. BrianNY is someone who can help you with the discus thing.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
This is what Im thinking.. it might be pushing overstocked but I took the fish and their max growth to come up with these numbers. I did the one gal per inch of fish thing. Tell me what you think and correct me if Im wrong-

6 (2in) Hatchets (3- marble, 3- mathae silver) = 12in/gal
4 (3in) Bolivian Rams = 12in/gal
3 (3in) Cory Cats = 9in/gal
3 (2in) Brilliant Rasboras = 6in/gal
3 (1.5 in) Bloodfin Tetras = 4in/gal
2 ( 4.5in) Banded Rainbows = 9in/gal
3 (2in) Gouramis (one fire, 2 pearl) =6in/gal
1 (5in) Red-tail black shark =5in/gal

That equals 63 gals. I would still like 10 one inch fish for a "big" school. The fish I could "cut back on" are the brilliant rasboras and the blood fin tetras. Right now my 2 brilliant and 1 bloodfin are in my 29 gal and have out lasted most of my fish. If anything id get one more bloodfin. But yah... that isn't a definate list but its a start..
so yah.. what do you think?

Old 05-26-2004, 12:31 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Why not 2 bolivian rams and 2 German (blue) rams? The germans stay a little smaller.

Also round up on the bloodfin tetras to 5in...safer that way.

Perhaps you should go with more rainbows than 2...have a school of rainbows and limit some of the other fish.

You could also consider a couple of Angelfish for centerpiece "large" fish in that aquarium but that would mean no big school of 1" fish (or they might become 1" snacks). Just don't get a mated pair and they should be fairly peaceful (and add them last so they don't become territorial to any brightly colored or other large fish additions).
Old 05-26-2004, 01:21 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Why not make it a SW reef tank? School of green chromis, a couple of Clownfish, Blennies and eventually some corals.
Ok , i'll go back to my corner now.
BTW congrats, heck of a deal!!
Old 05-26-2004, 01:37 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
I would go with 3 pearl gouramis rather than 2 pearl and 1 fire dwarf. The dwarf may actually pick on its larger relatives.

You might want to consider getting rid of the rainbowfish in the plan and increasing the size of your smaller fishes' schools instead to create the "big" school. 3 rasboras and 3 tetras are going to be very lonely in a 75g-- the bloodfin tetras would probably accentuate the colors of the pearl gouramis well in particular.

The corys, hatchets, rams, and shark are fine.
55g freshwater - tetras, catfish, loaches
10g freshwater - firebelly newts
Old 05-26-2004, 05:52 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Okay.. so after sleeping on it Ive decided a few things-
1.Scratch the brilliant rasboras and bloodfins. I will keep the ones I have in the tank I have because they are doing fine and I honestly don't want a bunch of them.

2. I don't want gouramis. My boyfriend has the "gourami" tank. I am, however, going to take his dwarf gourami and get him a buddy. So two dwarf gouramis.

3. I don't think I want rainbow fish anymore. But that could change tomorrow. But as of now.. no rainbow fish.

4. I want an angel fish *nod*

5. The tetras I am interested in getting are- black, flame and skirt. Will any of those work with an angel?

So right now my list goes as following-

6 Hatchets- 12in/gal
4 Rams- 12in/gal
3 Cory Cats- 9in/gal
2 Gouramis- 4in/gal
1 Red tail shark OR Flying Fox- 5in/gal
1 Angel 8in/gal

= 50 gals

That leaves 20gal for a school of fish.

What about that mix??

Closed Thread

75g, 75gal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com