Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-25-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
OMG!! 75gal OMG!!

I just won a 75 gal aquarium, plus a stand, plus a filter, plus lights, plus glass top, plus under gravel filter... for....

*drum roll*

Before you go "HOLY @#$%" I had a $125 gift card for ebay anyways.. and the bid ended up being $154 so I only pay $25ish.. but thats not the point!

w00t w00t

Now... what do I put in it???

I don't want to make it a Ciclid tank. I want it to be a peaceful tank (tropical). I want to have schooling fish- like two sets of fish that school. I want a few big fish and the rest medium/small fish. I went to the fish store earlier and made a list of what I liked.. tell me what you think-

Bala Sharks
Bolivian Rams
Cory Cats
Kuhlil Loach
Dwarf Gouramis
Dragon Fish? (thats an iffy)

I also have a spotted sail finned pleco that will go in there.. and I would like to put my 3 brilliant rasboras.

Schooling wise what do you think would be my best bet?
Head Tail lights
Het Rasboras..

One day I would like a discuss or two.

Give me suggestions pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaassseeeeeee

Im so excited!!!!

Old 05-25-2004, 05:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to bunebop
haha. congrats. I don't think w/ those fish u're gonna wanna add the bala sharks though... unless you want fewing schooling fish 8O cause they'll end up as lunch...

Old 05-25-2004, 05:22 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 05-25-2004, 05:27 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Congrats! The bala shark can cetainly go with the other fish you suggest, but I guess it depends on how large they really get in an aquarium.

I would say only one DG (personal experience, other's have different experiences) and you could certainly get a trio of the loaches and why not add to your current rasboras? They would appreciate more than 3 in the school, for sure. I am partial to serpae tetras for color and activity, also. Het rasboras are cool, and how about some hatchetfish for the top?
Old 05-25-2004, 05:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Congratulations on the new tank! And such a wonderful price too!

Don't buy bala sharks. They are an irresponsible choice of fish to put out by pet stores and distributors and get far too big for the vast majority of tanks when you combine the fact that they are fast-swimming schoolers with their actually physical size.

Dragon fish/Dragon eels are likely to be Polypterus or brackish gobies. Both are inappropriate for the kind of tank you want to set up except under certain conditions, I believe.

Bolivian rams (one of my favorites ), corydoras, kuhli loaches, and dwarf gouramis are all fine in a tank that holds schooling fish as its "showpiece." You might want to think about pearl, moonlight, or snakeskin gouramis, however, as you will have the space and they may feel a little more comfortable with some dither fish. IMO, a healthy pearl is much more attractive in a large tank than dwarves.

You could also go with just kuhlis or just corydoras. Having a pair each of a few different color varieties or species of corys would be nifty. I wouldn't get more than 2 pairs of Bolivian rams in that size tank, but that's just my preference.

Your sailfin pleco will be fine in there. If you're going to put your trio of brilliant rasboras in, why not get more? You could have a school of them and perhaps one of tetras or another kind of rasbora. Alternately you could move your rasboras out entirely and get a school of Congo tetras, which are truly stunning fish that are really underappreciated, IMO. Just don't expect them to act as dithers for gouramis-- they're more likely to scare them.

EDIT: I also second the hatchetfish. :P
55g freshwater - tetras, catfish, loaches
10g freshwater - firebelly newts
Old 05-25-2004, 05:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Oh oh I have another question

I will now sell my 40gal tank that has the guppies and two platys in it.

Do you think it would be stupid to keep a few guppies and my two platys to give variety? Im attached to a few of them

Would that work in the mix?

Also, no on the bala sharks.. is that so with all the other shark relatives? Like the silver tip and what not?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:03 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus
Sell a tank? I have never heard of this phenomenon....
Old 05-25-2004, 06:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Haha.. well after I move into this new house between me and my boyfriend we will have a 75 gal, two 29gals and so we don't need the 40gal. Its an okay tank.. it really needs a stand to make it pretty and I no longer want to invest in building a stand when i have a 75 gal tank ya know?? and it would be more fish money for me!

OH, also.. what about the Discus?? No one said anything about the discus being okay. I want one or two big, pretty fish that would be "focal points" or something
Old 05-25-2004, 09:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
Congrats on a GREAT deal.
Please remember to vote for Aquarium Advice!

Old 05-25-2004, 09:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to lad2knowu
GRATS!!!!! My Father-inlaw gave me my 75gal. Its awsome! Have fun!

Closed Thread

75g, 75gal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com