OMG Budgie in VACUUM!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frshwaterfinatc

Aquarium Advice Freak
I DID suck my parakeet up in the vacuum. I did NOT mean to. I was vacuuming the hulls up from around his cage with the hose. Let me rewind to a previous story to help you understand the extremely inquisitive nature of my bird.

It was time to feed my goldfish. I had the parakeet out, and he was sitting on his cage, singing wildly. Calmy I opened the fish food and prepared to sprinkle flakes into the water. The bird's beady little eye caught the movement and suspected there might be something in it for him. Just as the flakes landed in the water, so did that bird. Flew all the way across the room and crashed in, flapping up and down above the fish- his little legs kicking and flakes stuck all over his feathers. The fish almost died of fright. The bird had to be netted out and dried.

I knew my bird was so curious he was stupid. But I underestimated it.
So as I placidly vacuumed these seed hulls up, I didn't notice the crazy parakeet charging on foot across my dresser to find out what was happening to the hulls. Until he was suctioned head first into the hose nozzle of the vacuum with a sickening *thhuuck*. All that was sticking out was a tail, the tips of his wings, and neatly compressed feet. In my panic I fumbled around for the off switch, in tears. I knew I'd killed my poor, insanely curious birdy. My dear, dear, bird.

When I did finally hit the switch off, there was no movement. I stood in shock, not sure I wanted to see my decapitated best friend. But before I had a complete meltdown, that invincible budgie's little legs scrambled and pushed and out popped my parakeet. The vacuum had left his head on, but had pulled all the feathers forward in one bizarre feather do I'll christen "SONIC WIND". I nearly choked laughing.

Needless to say, I never let that bird out when I vacuumed again. Nor when I fed the fish. (Or ate spaghetti, but that's another story...)

LOL That's crazy. I'm glad your bird is ok and this story had a happy ending.

Yeah birds are crazy, I work at a pet store and when I'm changing the water they try to pull the dish back in the cage lol. Glad he's okay! :D

When did this happen??
Geez, our birds are afraid of the vacuum and we never let them out due the cats. I can't imagine what trouble they would get into if we did!

It was about a year ago- I just shared it because one of the posts early this morning sparked my memory of it. I just wish you all could have BEEN there. It was so funny.

By the way, what's your wedding date Menegerie? Congratulations to you both! My faincee, Tom, and I are getting married on the 28th of this month.

At least he survived...I'll never forget the time my friend had a loose and not particularly friendly hamster under his big, heavy couch....he was on the phone with me at the time...we determined that the vacuum was very efficient at retrieving the hamster...but the hamster was not so healthy afterwards....thank god it was only a feeder.

A friend of mine decided once to make pasta while his bird was out...it hit the wall fell down in to a pot of boiling water and that was the end of his bird owning adventures. Poor thing

frshwaterfinatc said:
Flew all the way across the room and crashed in, flapping up and down above the fish- his little legs kicking and flakes stuck all over his feathers. The fish almost died of fright. The bird had to be netted out and dried.

Oww... I can only imagine the wake up call your fish got... LOL
Being in a fishtank, I bet they never thought of a predator comming by...

Needless to say, I never let that bird out when I vacuumed again. Nor when I fed the fish. (Or ate spaghetti, but that's another story...)

Gosh, I guess that birdie should never be let out... LOL

LOL, funny story.. reminds me of a Pink Panther movie.

LoL! I used to watch Pink Panther... :) Those were the good days. Yeah, my bird has to be watched when he's out. We have to check our shoes, too- you never know when he'll be snuggled up inside on hiding and tweetering to himself. He like to climb onton the back of my neck when I have my hair down and sing there, too.
Very happy, curious little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom