Once again I come to you, my 2nd family for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't feel gifts are mandatory. I have three sisters, and we are all married. We never gave/received gifts from each other. It was enough that we could all get together and be there.

whew! I picked a real doozie to post about, huh?

I am not 100% sure what I will do yet...I will talk to Daniel and possibly my aunt Nancy - she is great and I cant talk to her about anything.

Lori, you didn't even mention the cost of your dress and shoes - I'm assuming you're in the bridal party. We guys have it easy when it comes to our friends' weddings - $50 to rent a tux, some beer money for the stag party, and our obligations are met. In addition to the wedding gift, ladies have to buy an expensive dress and shoes that they'll probably never wear again, and contribute to the bridal shower (and possibly a baby shower a few months down the road). Let's hear it for the Y chromosome, fellas! :wink:

Anyway, I'm with those who think you should give whatever you feel you can afford - even if it's just a card. As Hara said, ten years from now, all that will be remembered will be your presence at this important event.

Lori,
Given your specific family situation and how you feel, my opinion is...don't draw attention/criticism to yourself and don't stress over this. If it was me, I would make/buy a gift that's practical and has some thought put into it. I would not put $ in a card and I wouldn't apologize for not giving a gift. These things could draw attention/criticism from your family. A presentable gift, wrapped pretty with a card should be more than appropriate. Then take a deep breath and smile. JMHO

(We're all rootin' for ya)

smallfry said:
A presentable gift, wrapped pretty with a card should be more than appropriate. Then take a deep breath and smile.

Sounds exactly like what I said at the very beginning.

Jchillin said:
That being said, nothing forces you to be extravagant with the gift. So long as you bring/provide one, you will be fine.

QTOFFER said:
Let's hear it for the Y chromosome, fellas!

Well, when you think about it...don't we all look alike because of this? Meanwhile, the women look so dazzling and beautiful...and very distinct from each other...wow!

Ok, so I wrote to my aunt and she responded:

That's so funny that you should mention that--because I just said the same thing to your mother last night. You can only do what you can. Please give me the details on the plane tickets you got because the ones I found were more expensive. Just remember you'll get to spend lots of time w/us. We'll have fun, fun, fun. I Think Just A Card Isn't Enough---How About A Not Expensive Picture Frame For Their Wedding Picture???

so between my aunt's idea for a picture frame and all of you guys I have come up with an idea! One of the girls here at work just became a grandmother and I bought a memory/shadow box and a few baby things to glue on there - she has the picture of the baby in it on her desk - it's perfect! (except with a wedding theme for them!) It shouldn't be more than $30.00 - I already have the hot glue gun and the glue!

Guys, I love you so much - thank you all!!!

I will take a picture of it when it's done (might not be for a month or two - wedding is in July)

:D

lmw80 said:
so between my aunt's idea for a picture frame and all of you guys I have come up with an idea! One of the girls here at work just became a grandmother and I bought a memory/shadow box and a few baby things to glue on there - she has the picture of the baby in it on her desk - it's perfect! (except with a wedding theme for them!) It shouldn't be more than $30.00 - I already have the hot glue gun and the glue!

I was going to suggest a shadow box earlier but wasn't sure if you were crafty. My sister made one for us. She used one of our invitations in it. Very nice touch. Good idea!

lmw80 said:
One of the girls here at work just became a grandmother and I bought a memory/shadow box and a few baby things to glue on there - she has the picture of the baby in it on her desk - it's perfect! (except with a wedding theme for them!) It shouldn't be more than $30.00 - I already have the hot glue gun and the glue!

That's the spirit!! :D The mountain suddenly becomes a small hill.

Keep us posted! ;)

8)

smallfry wrote:
A presentable gift, wrapped pretty with a card should be more than appropriate. Then take a deep breath and smile.

Sounds exactly like what I said at the very beginning.

Jchillin wrote:
That being said, nothing forces you to be extravagant with the gift. So long as you bring/provide one, you will be fine.

QTOFFER wrote:
Let's hear it for the Y chromosome, fellas!

Well, when you think about it...don't we all look alike because of this? Meanwhile, the women look so dazzling and beautiful...and very distinct from each other...wow!

Hey Jchillin,
This theory would work, except I AM a woman. :lol:
:mrgreen: *But I don't mind being included with the men - just don't let it happen again.... heeeeeee :mrgreen:

Lori, that is a wonderful idea for a gift! That is the kind of thing they will treasure always, way more than a Wedgwood gravy boat. :wink:

Hey Smalfry...nothing I quoted was directed at you. Just the suggestion reference which I what I had posted at the very beginning (used for comparison purposes only).

I would hate to think that you thought I wanted to see you lined up looking like a penguin like the rest of us guys...you were included in the women looking so beautiful part. :D

How did I miss this thread? Its a good idea you have there about the shadowbox. I cant really remember if I got my sister anything for her wedding. I think I picked up a picture frame from Target, oh yes and a waffle maker. (it was on there registry) Good luck to you!

thanks meredith!

Daniel does NOT like the idea of a shadow box but everyone else overwhelmingly does!

he would rather buy them something (cause he didn't spend the money on the airfare!!) - something not on their registry, lol.

daniel thinks the shadow box is tacky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom