Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Once again I come to you, my 2nd family for advice

My brother is getting married in July (I do not like his fiance, but unfortunately it is not my place to say/do anything). Although he lives only 5 minutes from me, he is getting married in Florida (Her family is flying in from Puerto Rico so they decided to make both families travel instead of just one...). I just spent $466.00 on round trip tickets for me and Daniel. If I had not gotten money back from the government, we would not have even been able to afford these tickets. Here's my problem/pickle/perdicament - I do not feel that we should now have to buy them a wedding gift. I know my family and I know it will be expected of me, but when is enough enough?? We barely get by every month with our bills as it is.

What do you guys think?? Help please!

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:30 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I feel for you Lori but tradition calls for a wedding gift. Plus, this is your brother...a sibling. It would be bad form not to.

That being said, nothing forces you to be extravagant with the gift. So long as you bring/provide one, you will be fine.

You didn't mention a bridal shower. This would be another area of mandatory gifting (along with baby shower(s), birthdays (hers and his), holidays, etc, etc., etc....

Old 04-14-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
As of yet, I have not been informed of any bridal shower, so we will see.

Thanks Bill.

Old 04-14-2005, 03:39 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah, Lori. Kinda wondering how you'd feel about a gift if she was a favorite? Only you can answer that one, but like Jchillin says, you may only make matters worse if you don't gift. $20 bucks an month buys you a $60 gift certificate (or gift) in July.

Better still. I'll betcha I can find and dust off one of those gifts we've received in the past and bring it to Bawlemer next month for you!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 04-14-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
$20 bucks an month buys you a $60 gift certificate (or gift) in July.
8O Unfortunately, more would be expected.
Did they register, or are they expecting cash gifts? If they registered, start shopping early and look for sales!

Old 04-14-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

this is your brother. He knows you and it's not about "the gift" it's about being there and taking part in the celebration.

IMO, you do what you can, when you can. Save up a little here and there when you can and give that to them as cash at the wedding in a card that says you'll have to give them a proper gift when you have the means. If he or his wife have a problem with that, then they don't deserve a gift and you've lost nothing.

JMO

Hope you at least enjoy the time down there!
Old 04-14-2005, 04:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
If I were your brother, I'd want you at my wedding regardless of gift or not.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
Old 04-14-2005, 04:13 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I just don't know! ugh!

thank you all for your wonderful advice!

The thing is that we are always helping them out - we spent a whole day helping them move apartments (they did not even offer their help when daniel and I moved into our house). Daniel built them a computer for cheap - and in fact the first time they saw our house (we have been there since november) is when they brought their computer over friday for daniel to fix because they downloaded a virus.

So, I guess that is the FULL story about why I am so torn on this whole thing considering the amount of $ for the plane tickets....

Old 04-14-2005, 04:55 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

LOL...I remember that story very well Lori and I thought about it immediately when I saw your post. I then threw it out in posting my reply. A wedding is a "family" event. It is the union of two families into one. A such a time, all differences must be pushed aside and solidarity must be shown. Put the past aside...think of something your brother and soon to be sister-in-law would need. Remember...it does not have to be extravagant...just right and suitable.

After the wedding and honeymoon...well...
Old 04-14-2005, 05:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
You could bring a tag with your name on it... and put it on someone elses gift? j/p

I personally would probably not purchase a gift. Especially if its a larger wedding and lots of gifts are going to be purchased anyhow. And, if it is mentioned you can politely explain about the plane ticket, and how, as family, they should understand. My boyfriend Stephen didn't give his sister a wedding present (and he adores his sister) and he just said "I don't have a job right now and money is tight, I hope you understand" and she didn't care, she was just happy he and I came to the wedding

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com