Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997 View Post
I would not recommend a jack Dempsey for a thirty gallon, they get a foot long and require much more space to stretch IMO.
7-8" is more typical, which is how most reference books list them. That shouldn't be a problem in a 30 long. (OP didn't state dimensions.)

Not that I'm pushing them; I only meant to cite examples of some often overlooked, tough, personality fish that a child might enjoy, which can often be found cheap at an LFS or even at PetSmart. There are lots of others.

For myself, I'd have an Angelfish; Goldfish are beautiful, but too boring for my taste as a "pet". If I were buying for a boy, I'd probably opt for a Firemouth. Better yet, I'd make a list of candidates and let him choose the one he likes.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

From what I've read they reach about 10 inches, which is still too big for a 30 long

Old 10-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Maybe they can, but I haven't seen one. Authors such as Innes, Axelrod, Vierke, and Baensch list them at 7-8", which jibes with my experience. The latter specifically suggests a 35" aquarium for them, about the size of a 30 long.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdog
Maybe they can, but I haven't seen one. Authors such as Innes, Axelrod, Vierke, and Baensch list them at 7-8", which jibes with my experience. The latter specifically suggests a 35" aquarium for them, about the size of a 30 long.
When were these books published? The problem with books is that even if they are a few years old, the info may still be out of date. New information is discovered every day, especially in the last few years.

It's the op's choice, but I wouldnt put one in a 30 gallon.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkeeper26 View Post
When were these books published? The problem with books is that even if they are a few years old, the info may still be out of date. New information is discovered every day, especially in the last few years.

It's the op's choice, but I wouldnt put one in a 30 gallon.
From 1948 to 2007, a range chosen to verify that these size estimates have been consistent for decades.

Lots of things have been learned over the years, but published size rarely changes as authors commonly use the official descriptions of wild caught species. If anything, captive bred specimens tend to be smaller, not larger than the "official" size. (There are exceptions, but they are usually fish that are quite small in the wild and bred to be larger for display purposes.)

I would have no qualms about keeping a single JD in a 30, but that's what makes horse races.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdog View Post
I'd make a list of candidates and let him choose the one he likes.
^^^^^^Solid^^^^^^
I go online and research what I want to know about fish then find it locally.
Freshwater Fish: Freshwater Tropical Fish Species for Tropical Fish Tanks
With every fish they give car level, minimum tank size and other helpful info.
Hope it's helpful & good luck.

Kc
Old 10-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Spotted african leaf fish.

There antics are very amusing and they only reach 4 to 5 inches
I have two, and they are both very sociable, come to the glass when I approach, follow my finger, put on some interesting acrobatic shows, and eat any food I put in the tank.

Tags
30 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com