One fish one 30 gallon tank what would it be ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankees1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Looking to get one fish for a 30 gallon tank for son. Like a pet fish one he can watch and be interested in. Just looking for ideas . thanks

I can highly recommend a blood parrot cichlid. This fish is like a puppy in a fish tank. My husband and I both keep them and the way they interact with their human is amazing. We can hand feed them and they come to the glass when you're near. They are easy keepers and do well alone or in groups but for a 30 gallon, I'd recommend only one. I think your son would love one!

LyndaB said:
The BGK would require a much larger tank as it matures, though.

True but it would take awhile and by then you'll be hooked enough to get a bigger tank

Any of several South/Central American cichlids would fit the bill, at least if the tank is not planted. Jack Dempsey, Firemouth, etc, as well as the aforementioned Angelfish and Bloody Red Parrots. All have personalities that can make them seem like pets, are hardy, and adapt well to living alone.

I might hesitate with an Angelfish for a child, as the mortality rate for the little ones commonly sold is pretty high, unless you a lucky enough to find one from a local breeder.

I had a firemouth when I was a kid, and got a big kick out how he would blow out his gills and display when he saw me and started begging for food.

I agree with bruins abour the jd.
I second an angel, fancy goldfish, or firemouth. Not personally a fan of the blood parrot, but to each his own.

I would not recommend a jack Dempsey for a thirty gallon, they get a foot long and require much more space to stretch IMO.
7-8" is more typical, which is how most reference books list them. That shouldn't be a problem in a 30 long. (OP didn't state dimensions.)

Not that I'm pushing them; I only meant to cite examples of some often overlooked, tough, personality fish that a child might enjoy, which can often be found cheap at an LFS or even at PetSmart. There are lots of others.

For myself, I'd have an Angelfish; Goldfish are beautiful, but too boring for my taste as a "pet". If I were buying for a boy, I'd probably opt for a Firemouth. Better yet, I'd make a list of candidates and let him choose the one he likes.

From what I've read they reach about 10 inches, which is still too big for a 30 long

Maybe they can, but I haven't seen one. Authors such as Innes, Axelrod, Vierke, and Baensch list them at 7-8", which jibes with my experience. The latter specifically suggests a 35" aquarium for them, about the size of a 30 long.

Samdog said:
Maybe they can, but I haven't seen one. Authors such as Innes, Axelrod, Vierke, and Baensch list them at 7-8", which jibes with my experience. The latter specifically suggests a 35" aquarium for them, about the size of a 30 long.

When were these books published? The problem with books is that even if they are a few years old, the info may still be out of date. New information is discovered every day, especially in the last few years.

It's the op's choice, but I wouldnt put one in a 30 gallon.

When were these books published? The problem with books is that even if they are a few years old, the info may still be out of date. New information is discovered every day, especially in the last few years.

It's the op's choice, but I wouldnt put one in a 30 gallon.

From 1948 to 2007, a range chosen to verify that these size estimates have been consistent for decades.

Lots of things have been learned over the years, but published size rarely changes as authors commonly use the official descriptions of wild caught species. If anything, captive bred specimens tend to be smaller, not larger than the "official" size. (There are exceptions, but they are usually fish that are quite small in the wild and bred to be larger for display purposes.)

I would have no qualms about keeping a single JD in a 30, but that's what makes horse races. :)

Spotted african leaf fish.

There antics are very amusing and they only reach 4 to 5 inches
I have two, and they are both very sociable, come to the glass when I approach, follow my finger, put on some interesting acrobatic shows, and eat any food I put in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom