Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

One inch per gallon

Have lived by this mostly however in reading and listening to other aquarium people I understand there are other variables to consider. I have a 55 gal tank freshwater. My outside canister filters 415 gal per hour. It’s a medium planted aquarium. I do water changes every 10-14 days and change water while at nitrates are at 25ppm. Here is my question I’ve added up my “inches” and now have 64 inches of fish. I would love to add 8 cherry barbs for their color. Currently I have 7 Rainbow, 3 Cory, 1 bristled nosed pleco, 8 silver tip tetra, 2 long tailed Congo tetre, 2 albino Congo tetra and 4 flying silver fox of which I likely will remove when the get too big. Do you think I should stop or would the cherry barb be safe to add. No current fish problems.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The one inch rule isn't really a good way to go about stocking a tank. In some cases it can work great but many others its just way off. Also were you doing the 1" rule for their full grown size or the size they are right now? It has to be 1" per gallon for their full size. Still get rid of the 1" rule and try out aqadvisor.com. nice site that will calculate if you are stocked properly.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyheitz View Post
Have lived by this mostly however in reading and listening to other aquarium people I understand there are other variables to consider. I have a 55 gal tank freshwater. My outside canister filters 415 gal per hour. It’s a medium planted aquarium. I do water changes every 10-14 days and change water while at nitrates are at 25ppm. Here is my question I’ve added up my “inches” and now have 64 inches of fish. I would love to add 8 cherry barbs for their color. Currently I have 7 Rainbow, 3 Cory, 1 bristled nosed pleco, 8 silver tip tetra, 2 long tailed Congo tetre, 2 albino Congo tetra and 4 flying silver fox of which I likely will remove when the get too big. Do you think I should stop or would the cherry barb be safe to add. No current fish problems.
Hello Judy...

Up your water changes to 50 percent or more every week and you could certainly add a few more small fish. Just do your homework and make sure all the different species will get along.

B
Old 02-18-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
The one inch rule isn't really a good way to go about stocking a tank. In some cases it can work great but many others its just way off. Also were you doing the 1" rule for their full grown size or the size they are right now? It has to be 1" per gallon for their full size. Still get rid of the 1" rule and try out aqadvisor.com. nice site that will calculate if you are stocked properly.
I totally agree

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gallon, inch per gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com