One LFS makes me chuckle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
I took a trip to a local LFS(in the mall). While inside I found that said LFS was selling 5" red tail catfish(which get up to 3ft from what i've heard) for about 10 dollars a piece. I thought selling fish that would get that big was ridiculous. In the tank right above that I saw an adult ABN pleco about 3" long. The shop was asking 70 dollars for it!

Just thought I'd share a couple sites from my humorous trip to a LFS.

Red tail catfish, arowanas, giant gouramies, and red bellied pacus should not be sold to hobbyists period. You need a multistory municipal aquarium to house these monsters!

Oscars, bala sharks, common goldfish, clown loaches, and common plecos should be sold with a warning that they will eventually require a relatively large tank. I'm sure there are several other fish that I didn't mention that belong in this category.

$70 for adult albino dwarf pleco?!?!?! These guys breed like crazy. I can get 1 inch juvies for about $2 each at my aquarium society's monthly auction.

A bit off-topic, but I've also taken a liking to the wildtype bristlenose. They're dark brown with striped fins and tiny yellowish spots. Unlike the albinos, they are a devil to find among my driftwood and dark substrate. They do come into the open if there's food, though.

There are quite a few people in my aquarium club who breed both forms of BN - there's always a bag of juvies for auction every month.

Back
Top Bottom