Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Would you watch such a show?
Absolutely! 18 72.00%
If it's good enough... 6 24.00%
Maybe I will, maybe I won't... 1 4.00%
I don't think so! 0 0%
No chance! 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Post Online Aquarium Show!!!

Hi everybody,

I'm a producer for an emmy-award winning company. I'm currently working on a show about pet fishes and aquariums. The show would probably be some kind of travel show, with a host (who is also a fish expert) traveling around the country to meet aquarium owners and simply talk to them about their aquarium and their fishes.

The goal is to have great footage of those aquariums and fishes! I've found that it's impossible to find, on TV or on the Internet, good quality videos. Except for amateur stuff on youtube, there's almost nothing!
We'd also provide advice and information about all kind of fishes, how to take care of them and of your tank, etc, etc.

I'm posting here to you to get some advice! I haven't been into the hobby for a long time, and you guys obviously know a lot. What do you think of such a show? Would you watch it?

Right now we're thinking of putting it online, for free! We'd advertise in different websites and/or magazines, hobbyist could just click and watch whenever they want.

Do you think there could be some enthusiasm for our show? Once again, I want to point out that we want to make a really good quality-show. Great equipment (probably HD), great experts, really interesting content.

I'd really appreciate any advice you guys have. As I said, we're just preparing for the show now, and I want to make sure we'll reach the right people, and, well, that it will be interesting for everybody!

So let's start a discussion on this! I'm open to any comment and ideas!

fishfanforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Admin

I think this is an interesting idea. It might be especially useful for doing set-up demos.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Ben, I think this is a terrific idea and I would definitely watch it. IMO the real experts are those that spawn fish commercially. A show on that topic would be very interesting.

A show featuring home aquarists would also be interesting. How to, and what's the cost should be included.
BrianNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I'm sure the expert stuff would get a lot of interest, but I'm thinking that the average hobbyist perspective would get a lot of attention too. Maybe even more IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Awesome, maybe a piece on DIY with each show.
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Ben! I think that an aquarium-focused pet show is a great idea and I would definitely watch it.

Is there a demand for such a show? I think so. Most pet owners started out with fish and the aquarium hobby is thriving. There are several pet shows out there, but the vast majority of them are solely about cats and dogs. A few focus on more exotic pets like ferrets, macaws, and reptiles, but fish are generally ignored.

I would be interested in watching how wild tropical fish are captured and transported to market. A show covering commercial breeding operations would also be interesting. I think that shows showcasing hobbyist fishrooms and public aquariums would also generate interest. I belong to a local aquarium society where guest speakers present slideshows describing their trips to the tropics to catch wild fish for their breeding tanks. Members sometimes give slide presentations about their fishrooms, breeding successes, and planted tanks. These topics would be very interesting on video.

I found the following link to a program called The Petshop with Marc Morrone. Check out the Fish 101 video. I suspect that this is something along the lines that you want to do?
Lifeskool : Free online video and expert advice
QTOFFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
I second that. I think that would be awesome to have that online. I would watch them all the time. You have my vote!

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Thumbs up

One more thing. I think having a show or videos would also help educate enthusists around the world.

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
Everything that's already been suggested, I second them and under these conditions, I'd watch. I'm sure there are heaps of people like me who know a little and would like to know a lot.
Sharon : Melbourne, Australia
Me on Twitter
4x4x2 FW planted | 15g FW planted | 3.5g FW planted pico
marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
That would be wonderful. I know that not many people think about owning an aquarium until they see a friend's or family member's. I think the show would be a hit, just like "1,000 Places to see before you die." Also, if it was in HD... *sigh* that would be amazing!

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote

online show hd video clip

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com