Orca Tank Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clownfishlover

Aquarium Advice Freak
What kind of filtration do you think they use in large marine mammal tanks? These filtration systems must be very large considering how much water needs to be filtered. Also SeaWorld San Antonio almost lost an orca due to a very slight change in pH so based on that information these animals are very fragile when it comes to water quality changes at least as far as the ones born in the care of man go.

What kind of filtration do you think they use in large marine mammal tanks? These filtration systems must be very large considering how much water needs to be filtered. Also SeaWorld San Antonio almost lost an orca due to a very slight change in pH so based on that information these animals are very fragile when it comes to water quality changes at least as far as the ones born in the care of man go.

I always thought they just pumped water in from the ocean and maintained quality that way. I always assumed that was the main reason those parks are always located on coastal land with free access to the ocean.

I don't think this is the case at most large marine parks. The only SeaWorld park I know that uses natural seawater is San Diego and their orcas get their own specially filtered natural seawater chilled to 55 degree. The dolphins also get seawater, but it goes through the main water filtration they use. SeaWorld Orlando makes their own seawater as well as San Antonio. I also think the Georgia Aquarium uses man made saltwater, but I'm not sure.

I don't think this is the case at most large marine parks. The only SeaWorld park I know that uses natural seawater is San Diego and their orcas get their own specially filtered natural seawater chilled to 55 degree. The dolphins also get seawater, but it goes through the main water filtration they use. SeaWorld Orlando makes their own seawater as well as San Antonio. I also think the Georgia Aquarium uses man made saltwater, but I'm not sure.

Well seeing as I live in So. Cal. I guess that is where I heard it at San Diego.
It seems to be a more economical way to go rather than making/mixing it themselves.

Yes it would make sense considering that is 7 million gallons of saltwater in those pools. They also have ten orcas there with one on the way each orca eats about 200 pounds of fish each day. That's a lot of orca poop to filter!

Back
Top Bottom