Ordering Fish Online....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuomiBetta

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have to admit I'm torn on this. I know there are plenty of places like Drs. Foster and Smith that are perfectly reputable online stores with good products and knowledgeable people...but I just don't feel comfortable with the idea of ordering live fish online. It seems rather cruel to me, but then again petstores do the same. I would much rather see the fish I'm buying but my lfs only has a few fish and have sold me sick ones in the past. Am I over-reacting or do other people feel the same? (I just want to note that I don't judge anyone who does order their fish online. If you have had better success with that than in person purchases by all means share it with me!)

I don't order fish online but I've been looking into it... I don't know, it seems a bit cruel but the Lfs don't have the fish I want. I'm not exactly sure how they do it. Do they just put the fish into a bag, put the bag into a box, and ship it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I get fish from the LFS whenever I can. That being said, I keep some less common fish at times and can't always find what I want locally. In these cases I buy online and have them shipped to me.

polkadots, pretty much. There is typically styrofoam involved and in the winter heat packs. What type of fish are you looking for? The most important thing is to get them from someplace reputable.

I understand your reservations I was very hesitant to do it the first time, but got tired of buying fish that turned out to be sick, almost everytime. Now I only buy online, and I live all the way up in Alaska. Not only do I get healthier fish by mail, but reputable sellers -mostly other hobbyist on Aquabid - go out of their way to ensure healthy, happy fish arrive. Whereas pet stores don't give a flip.

I don't order fish online but I've been looking into it... I don't know, it seems a bit cruel but the Lfs don't have the fish I want. I'm not exactly sure how they do it. Do they just put the fish into a bag, put the bag into a box, and ship it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How do you think the fish get to the store?

I don't see how it's any more cruel than keeping fish as pets.

I purchase all my high end fish online. For me, it doesn't make any sense to go with an LFS for them as they are usually well below "average" in such stores. I don't physically see them but I do get to see pics of the exact fish from the supplier before purchase. My small schooling fish come from the LFS. HOWEVER, ALL MY FISH GO THRU A 6 WEEK QT BEFORE GOING IN MY DT !!!!! It's the only way to be sure you're not going to end up with a sick/contaminated DT.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Thanks everyone! I may try Aquabid in the future, I'm not so sure about liveaquaria after reading how they screwed up live rock. If they can't ship rocks properly I'm not sure if I trust them with fish! And yes, first thing on the list before a new display tank...a hospital!!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I am just fortunate enough to have a couple good LFS near me that sell quality fish. I wouldn't mind buying offline, but to me there's no point in paying the pricey shipping costs when I can go to any of 5 LFS in my area for the fish I want. I will say that I don't keep anything exotic...just a community tank so there's usually not an issue with getting the fish I want.

With that being said...if I had to buy a fish from an online retailer, I wouldn't have any issues with how it's "treated" since fish are shipped to LFS anyways.

I think I am just fortunate enough to have a couple good LFS near me that sell quality fish. I wouldn't mind buying offline, but to me there's no point in paying the pricey shipping costs when I can go to any of 5 LFS in my area for the fish I want. I will say that I don't keep anything exotic...just a community tank so there's usually not an issue with getting the fish I want.

With that being said...if I had to buy a fish from an online retailer, I wouldn't have any issues with how it's "treated" since fish are shipped to LFS anyways.

Lucky you! :D I don't worry so much about how they're treated so much as the condition they arrive in. I can also freely admit to being a worry wart about my fish.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom