other fauna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uglygoat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
we all love the ecosystems we create for our finned friends. what other wild life do you enjoy in your own backyard? i'm blown away constantly, growing up in cleveland, where a drive way separated you from your neighbor. living out a bit in the sticks now, i've got maybe half an acre... i've got deer, coyotes-one of my favorites, raccoons, feral cats/dogs, hawks, buzzards-my favorite, mallard ducks, canada geese, and myriad song birds, and peckers and crows, also one of my favorites.

my house faces the east, so the sun wakes us up, and we can follow her as she sets us to bed. it's an ideal setting for us hippies, with all the trees etc....

cheers!

tim

you just made me think of this (see pic below)... Anyways, I grew up in a place very similar to what you're describing. We had 200 acres behind us, with a river as a boundry, a road to the left, another 360 acres to the right, and a creek running down separating it from another farm. We had all the typical livestock, horses, cows, goats, chickens, etc... then we had deer, turkey, squirrel, rabbits, quail, beavers, otters, and a big farm pond stocked with bass, crappie, bluegill, channel cats, and a few snappin turtles that we never could get rid of. I moved away, but still go up to mow my grandfathers yard (5 acres) every other week in the summer. I miss living in the country and having to dodge deer every time I drove in the dark.

Last edited:
I grew up on a farm . We had cattle and horses , hogs and chickens . Now I live in town with woods running along my backyard . I have squirrel , bird and deer feeders . I have bird houses and a bat house . I have a great picture of my dog's and a doe's nose touching through my backyard fence as they sniffed at each other , it was very cool .

Like rookie , I miss living on our farm . I miss riding horses and just the peace and quiet of not having neighbors within a mile on either side of us .

I own 32 acres about 45 min from my house. I go there every chance I get. My family loves it. We have 2, 2 acre ponds (tanks) stocked full of cat fish (some as big as 40") and sunfish. I have seen everything out there. Hogs, deer, skunks, eastern blue birds, and tons of other stuff. I am blessed that I can have a place to go relax and play. Just saved a turtle crossing the street and took him back to our pond. Kids loved when he/she peed all over me. I just got done telling them, "dont touch it, it will peee". One time saw pack of coyotes carry off a calf from farm across the street. I could go on and on.

Back
Top Bottom