Our family dog...........?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melissamustang

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok here is the story. We have a english bulldog and his name is Mack. When we first got him he was all puppy. Went to the bathroom all over the house and I would go around after him and clean it up. We kept him inside and would crate him at night. He would go to the bathroom in his crate even though we were letting him out all the time. Now he has been out side for over two years now and I want to bring him in the house to give him another shot. He is the sweetest thing and has a ton of his "puppyness" gone.< I know not a word but you get it. Anyway he has been so good! The kids are really enjoying him and I am too. He is sleeping now with my oldest son and is snoring away with my son. :wink: The thing is I wonder what to do for the night. I wonder if he will sleep all night.
He slept in a great big built for a king dog house the husband built him. and the huge yard was all his when we were out with him.

I just don't know. I wonder what the night is in store for.

Any comments, suggestions, thoughts.

Thank you all :)

Attachments

• mack.jpg
    mack.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 35
  • mvc-256f.jpg
    mvc-256f.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 38
  • mvc-263f.jpg
    mvc-263f.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 32
You may find that they wont sleep all night, dogs dont need much sleep..

If you're worried about him "doing business everywhere again" you may need to train him to go in a certain spot. similar to a kitty litter box

Kennel, kennel, kennel.

Does he "go" in a certain place in the yard? (aside from marking territory) If so, this shows that he wants to keep poop and play seperate. I'm assuming he doesnt relieve himself near his dog house, or his favorite spot in the yard.

Kennels enforce this desired behavior, and now that he's older his habits are well established, you might find he takes to housebreaking like a champ. If he loves to sleep in your son's room, then put the kennel in there, and make sure that he gets put up every night before your son nods off. Dogs love their 'dens' and if he is not isolated from his buddy, he may suprise you, and actually enjoy being in there... even going in of his own accord for a nap.

By all means kennel him when he can't be supervised, all of my dogs have been kenneled, and they know its a safe haven from momma when they do something wrong. A dog is going to be a dog when no one is looking, even the best trained dogs are gonna push the limits when they know they can. Dogs thrive on routine and dicipline, dont let their puppy eyes fool you. :wink:

If the dog doesnt mess on the floor, and you only have to clean out his kennel once in a while (accidents may still happen) everyone is happier, and you have a better relationship with your beloved pet.

Hope this helps... BTW, this is from recent experience... I have a 8 month old Giant Schnauzer, and the females are notorious 'leakers' no WAY shes sleeping on the carpet!

Now.. if he barks when hes in the kennel... thats for a different post! :lol:

Well he sleeps a ton...That breed is kind of lazy. He is still sleeping and looks like he is loving life right now. He has been so great so far. I will keep everyone posted and that you for all the great ideas! Keep them coming. I love to learn and read about other peoples pets and stories.

Thank you all :)

He slept all night in the kennel. He did great!!!!!!!!!! He is a bit of a beggar but the kids are having so much fun with him. I am too........I can not wait until I feel better so I can walk him. This is really great. Thank you all.

omg.. he is sooo adorable. Glad the crate sleeping went well. We crate our puppy at night when we sleep and if we aren't at home... and he doesn't go potty in his crate. Of course my dog is a small dog so we make sure if were going to be gone for more than 4-6 hours we have someone watch him. So far though my husband is always able to come home on lunch and take him out. A doggy door is also an option but if your like me, i have 2 indoor only cats that i would NOT want getting outside.

I have one inside cat and one outside cat and I am not able to do that either. I love him in the house he is not like he was 2 years ago. Seepu
was right he is a great addition in the family inside! No mess he sleeps a ton and loves the kids. I gave him two toys a rope with a tire..."small" and a big bone and he keeps himself occupied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom