Our Hobby Is In Great Danger!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive read it, more then once.

Accidents happens, cant stop a hurricane from being a hurricane, but you can stop the asian illegal pet trade, where most if not all of our invasive species come from.

the problem is going to be proving that a species cannot cause economic or environmental harm or harm to other animal species, which a lot of species could potentially do. In reality the odds are next to none that I could dump a bunch of platys or swordtails into a lake and they would produce so wildly that it would harm the local ecosystem. However in theory it could be done given the right circumstances and careful monitoring to implant this species in a local area, and that very minute chance is probably all the bill would need to ban a species. I agree with what the bill is doing, but not how it is doing it. Im not worried tho because I highly doubt this bill will even come close to passing, more or less be a major issue given the current condition of our government/economy

Like most of your thoughts the chances of this passing especially with the economy the shape it is in now are slim to none. They will probably pacify the bill in some fashion or another making those in favor happy to an extent like they always do. It would put many places out of business and make many people unhappy. I have written letters to the state reps. as well. One state rep Cheryl L Grossman lives down the street from me. She reps most of Franklin County in Ohio. I am going to talk to her next time I see her and see where she stands.

Question: Were you the perfect driver the first time? Did you make a mistake when you first started keeping fish?

Actually the worst thing I ever did with a fish out of water was eat it.

I dont even flush the bodies. Freeze em then pitch em on trash day.

Most of our tropical fish can survive in our waters, however the natually large native fish will take care of them. The Snakehead invasion set this one off.

You should reread this bill especially all of section 3 and section 4(a)2.
I don't see problems with this bill or how it will effect the hobbyist at all.
They can already do most of this under the wildlife preservation statutes anyway.

I agree with reptiles for the most part, It's scary how people think there easy and have really no clue on how to take care of reptiles. Not all but I work at petsmart and im amazed on how people feed/house and take care of them. I think some people should be banned on Fish as well, people need more education on fish and thats the problem, there is alot of mis information out there.

And those are the people who should be punished not the ones who care and want to learn. I dont know everything about fish. I want to. I dont see how keeping a dog is different than a fish. If you are willing to work more at it its exactly the same. Keeping reptiles I had an african fat-tailed gecko for 7 years and got rid of it when I moved out. So I dont see how keeping reptiles is hard. I cleaned the sand, gave water, had a heat lamp, fed crickets, and let it sit on my shoulder every once and a while. This bill is too encompassing. To many broad accusations. Places like petsmart and petland should be the main target here as their mass of animals and young kids in highschool just doing the job because they had a pet growing up and cant wait until their shift is over to get to the party that night is the problem. Not saying everyone that works there is like that but drillsar Im sure you know someone like this at your place of employment and this is not a slam on you. We got our dog from petland and she had many problems and I believe that she might have been bred and born in a puppy-mill. This is the kind of thing I am talking about.

I say if you dont have an aquarium.. you should have to take a class on it before you can even buy one. that would stop a lot of this from happening.. i mean i have a 125g.. a 55g... 10g and a 5.5g.. im pretty sure i knwo the rules.. since ive only lost maybe 50 fish.. in a year..(all feeders xD)

I know this is old but!

I know this is an old thread; and I am not affected, but I am interested in t eh progress. Anybody have any info??

The main concern is the advanced wording and its specifics taken to the "nth" level. If you were to strictly follow the guidelines of the bill, there would be very little importation, if any, of any species of animal and depending on the "approved" list regardless of what organization forms it. From what I have gathered, most professional organizations are aware and against the bill.

By the way, there already are classes you can take in highschools and colleges in learning the aspects of aquarium keeping. The question here is, does it promote responsibility and a greater understanding of how to care for aquarium inhabitants? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom