Outdated Rules

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"OH MY COW...YOU CAN'T CYCLE WITH FISH IN!!!!!!!"

What else... (got this from the lfs OWNER) "Yeah, it'll cycle overnight...ready to go in 24 hours" (also told me the inch per fish thing but I kept my thoughts to myself lol)

"OH MY COW...YOU CAN'T CYCLE WITH FISH IN!!!!!!!"

What else... (got this from the lfs OWNER) "Yeah, it'll cycle overnight...ready to go in 24 hours" (also told me the inch per fish thing but I kept my thoughts to myself lol)
2 excellent ones will be added shortly.

For some unknown reason once somebody gets a "rule" out there and adopted it doesnt matter what we learn or how tech improves we hold onto that rule. Now obviously some of the "rules" are being thrown out (can anybody say inch per gallon) but not by everyone. This is a list of some common rules I think it is time to say goodbye too. Everyone join in and tell me what rules you think Im wrong about and which ones you think I forgot.

Inch per gallon rule. Why oh why can we not be rid of a rule that allows me to keep a 10 inch Oscar in a 10 gallon tank?

2 watts per gallon rule. With the improvements in light technology we can no longer just say 2 per gallon is good. Not to mention that doesnt take into account the amount of light individual plant species need.

The rule that states PWCs should be done weekly. With the improved technology we now have and the added knowledge weekly PWCs are just not needed. Especially in planted setups. Most of us (minus the discus and sensitive fish keepers) will be fine with a PWC every other week.

The rule that states you must add salt to a tank with guppies. In all cases this is unecessary, in most cases dangerous to the fish, and sonetimes fatal. (*Thanks jetajockey for pointing this one out*)

The rule that bettas cannot be in a community tank. Simply put this has been disproved. Better stated SOME bettas cannot be in a community tank. (*Thanks hholly for this one*)

The rule that bettas should be kept in bowls. Bettas not only survive in larger tanks they thrive in them.

The rule that you cannot cycle with fish in! Jetajockey actually has a writeup on this. Fish in cycling can be safe and effective! (8Thanks to clearancepuppy for submitting this one*)

The rule that after setting up a system it needs to sit for (depending on the version) 24 hours or 1 week and it will be cycled. You cant cycle a tank with no ammonia. Easy. (*Thanks to clearancepuppy for submitting this one*)

So tell me what yalls thoughts are. Thanks and God bless!

I hear ya. And I am a person who customarily despises rules because I see them as a "one size fits all" thing, and most of us know that one size fits all rarely fits anyone.

But for the sake of the other side on this, let's just all think about the total noob. The one who buys a goldfish in a bowl, or one of the 10 gallon "starter packages" from one of the big boxes, and then proceeds to use the little packet of water conditioner that came with it as s/he proceeds to put every fish pictured on the box in that little tank.

Those rules begin to make more sense. I think what we have to do is to temper our spouting of the rules with some common sense, tailored for the poster's unique situation.

I'm not quite ready to say "out with the rules," but I am very comfortable in throwing out the rigidity in saying everyone's tank is a "one size fits all" thing.

Well, I think the topic here is centered around outdated rules that time and experience has proven false. Sensible precautions and careful attention to biological processes aren't outdated, but tried and true.

This is definetly about rules proven wrong and the lack of a one size fits allbin this hobby. Heck you can see extreme examples anywhere. The guy that has to change the water in his discuss tank everyday (although I would set up a nice refugium first lol) or the guy that never changes his water. As long as both have healthy fish who is too say either is wrong.

This is definetly about rules proven wrong and the lack of a one size fits allbin this hobby. Heck you can see extreme examples anywhere. The guy that has to change the water in his discuss tank everyday (although I would set up a nice refugium first lol) or the guy that never changes his water. As long as both have healthy fish who is too say either is wrong.
Well, it's all about the situation. Those are general markers, and not for custom situations.

Could someone shoot me a link to what fish salt can harm? I use api aquarium salt on some what of a regular basis in 2 of my 4 tanks.

Could someone shoot me a link to what fish salt can harm? I use api aquarium salt on some what of a regular basis in 2 of my 4 tanks.
I dont know of a link but its not good for most fish. Corys at least can be killed by it.

Hmmm, I use the recommended amount in my community tank that has corys in it and nothing has happened to them. Ill quit though just to be on the safe side. I also use it in my M. Johanni and albino acf's tank

The weekly water change routine is more of a recent trend in the hobby. The outdated method would be the topoff only and bi annual top to bottom cleaning routine.

My dad asks why I do all the stuff I do to my wife's freshwater tank.
Back 50 years ago my grandmother had a planted tank and never done water changes she would top it off and once a year she would put the fish in buckets and clean everything from top to bottom then put fresh water and add the fish. And never ever used any sort of water treatment or chemical.
I seen hundreds of photos and the tank was very nice looking.
Just wanted to share that story. That was back when water was actually safe to drink :)

I've read about salt being harmful to cories but I haven't had any problems with that. My understanding is that if they come into contact with it directly (undissolved) that it can hurt them.

I've read about salt being harmful to cories but I haven't had any problems with that. My understanding is that if they come into contact with it directly (undissolved) that it can hurt them.

I don't know that answer I never used salt in my freshwater. My lfs told me I couldn't cycle with guppies and that I HAD to use aquarium salt. Cycled with guppies and corys and done a whole bunch of water changes and it came out prefect

Edit I got that messed up he told me to use bettas and I couldn't use guppies lol

Here is an idea , I know I'm a little off topic.

Manufacturers need to include a huge book about keeping aquariums for new fish owners.
A person buys a complete aquarium kit they kill several sets of fish get discouraged and the tank becomes a dust bowl in the basement.

If they went out of their way to make sure new fish owners learned what they need to learn. They have a successful first aquarium then. They want to buy a bigger one. Then another, and another.

Get my point?
It would be a good investment for them to throw an aquariums fir dummies or something in the box

Here is an idea , I know I'm a little off topic.

Manufacturers need to include a huge book about keeping aquariums for new fish owners.
A person buys a complete aquarium kit they kill several sets of fish get discouraged and the tank becomes a dust bowl in the basement.

If they went out of their way to make sure new fish owners learned what they need to learn. They have a successful first aquarium then. They want to buy a bigger one. Then another, and another.

Get my point?
It would be a good investment for them to throw an aquariums fir dummies or something in the box
I agree. Make sure the book dispells the common rules that ruin most people.

Back
Top Bottom