Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Could someone shoot me a link to what fish salt can harm? I use api aquarium salt on some what of a regular basis in 2 of my 4 tanks.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronjohn20 View Post
Could someone shoot me a link to what fish salt can harm? I use api aquarium salt on some what of a regular basis in 2 of my 4 tanks.
I dont know of a link but its not good for most fish. Corys at least can be killed by it.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmmm, I use the recommended amount in my community tank that has corys in it and nothing has happened to them. Ill quit though just to be on the safe side. I also use it in my M. Johanni and albino acf's tank
Old 02-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
The weekly water change routine is more of a recent trend in the hobby. The outdated method would be the topoff only and bi annual top to bottom cleaning routine.
My dad asks why I do all the stuff I do to my wife's freshwater tank.
Back 50 years ago my grandmother had a planted tank and never done water changes she would top it off and once a year she would put the fish in buckets and clean everything from top to bottom then put fresh water and add the fish. And never ever used any sort of water treatment or chemical.
I seen hundreds of photos and the tank was very nice looking.
Just wanted to share that story. That was back when water was actually safe to drink
Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've read about salt being harmful to cories but I haven't had any problems with that. My understanding is that if they come into contact with it directly (undissolved) that it can hurt them.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearancepuppy View Post
I've read about salt being harmful to cories but I haven't had any problems with that. My understanding is that if they come into contact with it directly (undissolved) that it can hurt them.
I don't know that answer I never used salt in my freshwater. My lfs told me I couldn't cycle with guppies and that I HAD to use aquarium salt. Cycled with guppies and corys and done a whole bunch of water changes and it came out prefect

Edit I got that messed up he told me to use bettas and I couldn't use guppies lol
Old 02-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is an idea , I know I'm a little off topic.

Manufacturers need to include a huge book about keeping aquariums for new fish owners.
A person buys a complete aquarium kit they kill several sets of fish get discouraged and the tank becomes a dust bowl in the basement.

If they went out of their way to make sure new fish owners learned what they need to learn. They have a successful first aquarium then. They want to buy a bigger one. Then another, and another.

Get my point?
It would be a good investment for them to throw an aquariums fir dummies or something in the box
Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwandrsn View Post
Here is an idea , I know I'm a little off topic.

Manufacturers need to include a huge book about keeping aquariums for new fish owners.
A person buys a complete aquarium kit they kill several sets of fish get discouraged and the tank becomes a dust bowl in the basement.

If they went out of their way to make sure new fish owners learned what they need to learn. They have a successful first aquarium then. They want to buy a bigger one. Then another, and another.

Get my point?
It would be a good investment for them to throw an aquariums fir dummies or something in the box
I agree. Make sure the book dispells the common rules that ruin most people.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com