Outdated Rules

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
For some unknown reason once somebody gets a "rule" out there and adopted it doesnt matter what we learn or how tech improves we hold onto that rule. Now obviously some of the "rules" are being thrown out (can anybody say inch per gallon) but not by everyone. This is a list of some common rules I think it is time to say goodbye too. Everyone join in and tell me what rules you think Im wrong about and which ones you think I forgot.

Inch per gallon rule. Why oh why can we not be rid of a rule that allows me to keep a 10 inch Oscar in a 10 gallon tank?

2 watts per gallon rule. With the improvements in light technology we can no longer just say 2 per gallon is good. Not to mention that doesnt take into account the amount of light individual plant species need.

The rule that states PWCs should be done weekly. With the improved technology we now have and the added knowledge weekly PWCs are just not needed. Especially in planted setups. Most of us (minus the discus and sensitive fish keepers) will be fine with a PWC every other week.

The rule that states you must add salt to a tank with guppies. In all cases this is unecessary, in most cases dangerous to the fish, and sonetimes fatal. (*Thanks jetajockey for pointing this one out*)

The rule that bettas cannot be in a community tank. Simply put this has been disproved. Better stated SOME bettas cannot be in a community tank. (*Thanks hholly for this one*)

The rule that bettas should be kept in bowls. Bettas not only survive in larger tanks they thrive in them.

The rule that you cannot cycle with fish in! Jetajockey actually has a writeup on this. Fish in cycling can be safe and effective! (8Thanks to clearancepuppy for submitting this one*)

The rule that after setting up a system it needs to sit for (depending on the version) 24 hours or 1 week and it will be cycled. You cant cycle a tank with no ammonia. Easy. (*Thanks to clearancepuppy for submitting this one*)

So tell me what yalls thoughts are. Thanks and God bless!

The inch per gallon apply's to very small fish.
And although it doesn't make sense at all(An inch beta won't go in a 1 gal tank), it's more for beginners.

The Watts per gallon is actually 3-5 watts per gallon. I have a 100+75 watt heaters for my 20 gallon and i think it's pretty good.:)

The PWC rule is good to ensure water quality, and pH stability. You wouldn't want you're pH to drop because of the accumulating toxins. Not to forget the nitrates don't disappear.

Although, this is a great review!

The inch per gallon apply's to very small fish.
And although it doesn't make sense at all(An inch beta won't go in a 1 gal tank), it's more for beginners.

The Watts per gallon is actually 3-5 watts per gallon. I have a 100+75 watt heaters for my 20 gallon and i think it's pretty good.:)

The PWC rule is good to ensure water quality, and pH stability. You wouldn't want you're pH to drop because of the accumulating toxins. Not to forget the nitrates don't disappear.

Although, this is a great review!

Thanks! I was just wondering what general thought was!

The weekly water change rule for salt water is a very good rule. If i wanted a fresh water tank, I would use the same rule and my tank would remain healthy. How can it be a bad thing?

The weekly water change rule for salt water is a very good rule. If i wanted a fresh water tank, I would use the same rule and my tank would remain healthy. How can it be a bad thing?
It isn't, he's just trying to say it's not necessary.

I am not saying it is bad. Just that it is outdated. Sure yourbtank would be healthy but what if it could be just as healthy if not more so with you doing less work? I think less frequent water changes may actually be beneficial if water params are still controlled. Less stress from human interaction.

I can see the PWC every other week assuming
1. The tank is well established
2. The tank is properly / lightly stocked
3. There are nitrate consumers ..i.e. plants
4. Over feeding / dead organic's removed.

BUT, I prefer to do a small PWC one week and then a larger one the next.

I can see the PWC every other week assuming
1. The tank is well established
2. The tank is properly / lightly stocked
3. There are nitrate consumers ..i.e. plants
4. Over feeding / dead organic's removed.

BUT, I prefer to do a small PWC one week and then a larger one the next.

Agreed to all of the above. I dont do water changes alot but I try to set up just like above stated. However even when I dk change the water it isnt really big usually. Now I have one tank that never gets changed but that is a whole new topic lol

The watts per gallon rule is for lighting, not heaters. Supposedly, 1 watt per gallon of light is low light, 2 wpg medium light, 3+ is high light. Really, it is only good for T8's. Especially with LED's you can't use that rule.

I fully agree. Even in my heavily planted 29 gallon I do weekly pwc's.

The watts per gallon rule is for lighting, not heaters. Supposedly, 1 watt per gallon of light is low light, 2 wpg medium light, 3+ is high light. Really, it is only good for T8's. Especially with LED's you can't use that rule.
Oh, i see. Hmm

The weekly water change routine is more of a recent trend in the hobby. The outdated method would be the topoff only and bi annual top to bottom cleaning routine.

The "livebearers like a little salt" thing is outdated, as is prophylactic salt use in general.

The weekly water change routine is more of a recent trend in the hobby. The outdated method would be the topoff only and bi annual top to bottom cleaning routine.

The "livebearers like a little salt" thing is outdated, as is prophylactic salt use in general.
Ah I am adding that one!

Before I ever got into fish, it was explained to me, that one's first fish were sacrificial, for cycling, and were not expected to survive the process. Don't know if that was a rule or not.

Back
Top Bottom