Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2005, 05:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Over Protective Mom

Ok parents,

What is the normal age now a days for boys to be interested in girls? I have a 14 year old that has girls coming by constantly looking for him.

And just last night he asked me how old I was when I had my first kiss. Arghhhhh, not my baby!!! I"m having a hard time with this. My son and I are very open with one another. He is able to ask me anything and I will tell him honestly, no matter how much I don't want to. But......

No offense to any parents out there raising girls, but I have to say that these girls are dressing really riskque lately with the belly showing and low cut shirts.

I feel the girls ranging from 10-18 and even some mothers are wearing practically nothing now a days. What is up with that? Geeze, if I even attempted wearing that, my dad would have kicked my butt and locked me in the house.

My husband has to litterally hold me back from chasing the girls away with my broom. Any advice parents?

Old 07-08-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Re: Over Protective Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FawnN
My husband has to litterally hold me back from chasing the girls away with my broom. Any advice parents?
while chasing them are you screaming, "You stay away from my baby!"? Cause, that would pretty much take care of your son's love life

I do have to agree with you on the way girls dress these days. Particularly the young teens and.. *shudder* pre-teens in mini-skirts and tight clothes. What parents would want a girl that young dressing that way? I guess i'm just old fashioned... ick... i'm just old is the problem lol.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:32 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with you completely, as the mother of a 12-year-old daughter. She (fortunately, at least for the time being) is very modest and will not wear low-cut anything or anything with a bare midriff, but many of her classmates do not share her fashion sense.

I have heard of national reports on what goes on in American middle schools in general, and I must say it is shocking to hear, and I won't repeat it, but lets just say you are right to be protective.

I would discuss this with your husband and you and he mutually agree on some ground rules for dating. I think you need to come up with an age that you are comfortable with yourself, and stick to it. The age I come up with for my kids may not be the right choice for your family. I do think girls being interested in him, calling him, stopping by, etc. is perfectly normal at this age, though, and as long as you explain to him what is expected you have done what you can. Pay attention, close attention, to who comes around and let him know you are watching, and the girls too. I would not feel comfortable with him being alone with a girl until he was older, group activities being fine, but that is just me.

Good luck - I feel your pain!
Old 07-08-2005, 05:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

When we were that age, our parents were feeling the same way about us and our clothes.

My first kiss was at 13. The rest came 2 years later.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:40 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentallylost
When we were that age, our parents were feeling the same way about us and our clothes.

My first kiss was at 13. The rest came 2 years later.
Obviously your parents were right!
Old 07-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #6
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Re: Over Protective Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FawnN
Ok parents,

What is the normal age now a days for boys to be interested in girls? I have a 14 year old that has girls coming by constantly looking for him.
I started in grade two...so about 7...really.

Quote:
And just last night he asked me how old I was when I had my first kiss. Arghhhhh, not my baby!!! I"m having a hard time with this. My son and I are very open with one another. He is able to ask me anything and I will tell him honestly, no matter how much I don't want to.
Good, keep it that way..always...you will not be sorry.

Quote:
No offense to any parents out there raising girls, but I have to say that these girls are dressing really riskque lately with the belly showing and low cut shirts.
Mine is 7¬Ĺ...I'm not there quite yet. LOL

Quote:
I feel the girls ranging from 10-18 and even some mothers are wearing practically nothing now a days. What is up with that? Geeze, if I even attempted wearing that, my dad would have kicked my butt and locked me in the house.
I know...I feel cheated...I should be an 18 year-old buck now, not um...years ago.

Quote:
Make sure your son's common sense is intact, and hope he has learned well from you (and keep that casual, frank communication up)....believe it or not, that will go a lot farther than you can possibly imagine.....despite my own underage drinking/partying/sexual activity, common sense and what I learned from my parents is what kept me from making a lot of common, stupid mistakes a lot of my peers did. You cannot stop him from hanging-out/hooking-up with girls, just make sure his head is on straight and he knows that he can rely on you....even if it is for $5 for contraceptives.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 07-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
while chasing them are you screaming, "You stay away from my baby!"? Cause, that would pretty much take care of your son's love life
I would say that, but really want to say more. No, I haven't embarrassed the heck out of him.....yet.

As for his love life, he's too young! When I was growing up, I went out as big groups, but I didn't have my first real boyfriend until I was 16 going on 17.

And TG, I personally think for boys, you should be at least 17 (boys aren't very mature). No offense. There are already too many distractions and having a girlfriend or boyfriend is way too much. If I had it my way, I would have him locked up until he was 21. J/K, sort of.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

14 is definitely old enough to start liking girls, LOL! And as far as how the girls are dressing tell me about it......I have trouble buying clothes for my five year old that aren't slutty with words on the butt, skirts and shorts too short, shirts to short. And if that isn't bad enough now all the girls clothes have really bratty obnoxious and just plain ridiculous sayings on them. In fact I even have trouble buying clothes for me. Just try and find a nice pair of jeans you can bend over in without having plumbers butt.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and whatever you do try not to embarrass him (that would be the scraming get away from my baby thing with the broom)! LOL You don't want him to close down the lines of communication between the two of you and you don't want him to stop having his "girl" friends come around the house. Then you won't know what is going on ever. Remember keep your friends close and your enemies closer!LOL When my kids are teens I want my house to be the house they like hanging out at so I can keep an eagle eye on them!
So take a deep breath, set some limits, but play it cool......or you'll end up out of the loop.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was in high school not long ago (graduated in 2000) and girls didn't dress the way they do now. My neice is a Sophmore and I see her running around in the mini-skirts and low cut shirts that barely cover her bra and I think, how can my brother let her leave the house wearing that?! Kids are maturing at a lot younger age but being 14, that's still a bit young to be dating.

Group activities are great for kids that age. Heck, all through high school, none of us dated. We all just went out in groups. Girls in one car, guys in another. And I don't think you are being over-protective. Granted, I dont' have kids. But I treat my niece and nephews like they are my own. At Christmas my dad made Britnay put on one of my sweaters because she was wearing a low cut long sleeve t-shirt that was skin tight and came up above her belly button. Talk to your husband and get a game plan set into place and stick to your guns (not literally). And get to know his girl friends. You will be able to keep better tabs on your son if you talk to her like an adult. And think of it this way, for Birthday and Christmas' you can buy her clothes that actually cover her. That's what we did with Britany.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com