Overstocking 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hpiguy said:
Are you saying four 22" arrowana in my 37 is overdoing it?

They seem happy all snuggled together. I had to take out the filter cause it just didn't fit anymore. But I change a few gallons every couple months so they should be fine.

The more the merrier right? I like how mine are always cuddled up, they're like best buds, never leave each other's side.

christine2012 said:
And you just took it to the next level of off topic-ness ;)

Meta off-topic-ness! It has been achieved!

Back on topic, that is insane. Although a friend of mine has an Oscar in a 10, or at least he did. If Trogdor is still swimming, he has to have gotten big by now. I tried so hard to explain things to him, but he thought the best thing to do after his 1.5 gallon overstocked mess of a starter tank crashed and burned was to put an Oscar in it. Thankfully I made him upgrade to at least a 10 in a week or so, and made him promise that would only be temporary.

It seems people around here do the same. I see people picking up like 20 feeder goldfish and a 5 gallon tank at Walmart, and my neighbor has 4 comets in a 10 gal with a common Pleco and a betta in a tiny cube. She had no idea how bad it was until I went over and saw them, and I've taught her a bit about the nitrogen cycle, why good filtration and water changes are important, and I gave her a better filter a couple weeks back. I try to help, but at the same time I try to remember that they are her pets in her care and I can't make her change her ways. She loves them and cares a lot about them, but there's a limit to what she can and will do as far as maintenance goes. All we can do is try to steer people in the right direction. She did at least rehome two of them recently, up until then she had 6 of them in there!

Alyxx said:
Meta off-topic-ness! It has been achieved!

Back on topic, that is insane. Although a friend of mine has an Oscar in a 10, or at least he did. If Trogdor is still swimming, he has to have gotten big by now. I tried so hard to explain things to him, but he thought the best thing to do after his 1.5 gallon overstocked mess of a starter tank crashed and burned was to put an Oscar in it. Thankfully I made him upgrade to at least a 10 in a week or so, and made him promise that would only be temporary.

Trogdor as in Trogdor the Burninator!?!

Back
Top Bottom