Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: P2P Sharing: Your stance
I do it and I am NOT afraid 7 35.00%
I do it and I AM afraid 2 10.00%
I used to do it but I stopped 5 25.00%
I have never done it but am considering 0 0%
I have never done it nor ever will 3 15.00%
P2P? Is that a new type of candy? 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2004, 06:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I totally agree, if prices dropped, people would be more willing to buy things - $18 for a CD or $25 for a new DVD - or $Hundreds or so for S/W - if these saw a decrease, I am positive that the p2p sharing would also decrease.

I used to DL movies but since I started making more money, I have stopped and now buy pre-viewed DVD's from Blockbuster... $9 is a lot more to my liking.

Old 08-04-2004, 07:56 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I totally agree, if prices dropped, people would be more willing to buy things
There is this camera that I want, the one I really want costs about 8000.00, with no lenses. The cheapest on is about a grand, with no lenses, I can't afford either, if the prices were to drop by 40-50%, I could probably swing one, but that's not happened, nor is it going to, does that make it OK for me to steal it?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 08-04-2004, 07:56 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I don't even know how to DL music or get NPR to play through my computer

Old 08-04-2004, 08:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the poll needs to make the distinction between legal and illegal fire-sharing. There's absolutely nothing wrong with P2P as a technology.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Old 08-04-2004, 08:31 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I honestly wouldn't even know where to go to illegally download a song or a movie. And even if I did, there really isn't anything new out there that I find so appealing that I would be willing to risk a lawsuit to hear/see it. Maybe it's just the cultural curtain that closed behind me when I left the targeted 18 - 35-year-old audience, but I haven't been too impressed with most recent albums and movies.

Why are the record labels and movie studios cracking down on illegal downloads? Why are they hurting? I think it's because they have suffered from a long string of high profile flops in the record stores and at the box office. Also, the record labels and movie studios can no longer count on sales in Europe and Japan to rescue them from their stupid, expensive mistakes anymore - the overseas audiences have become a bit more discriminating in recent years. Remember Waterworld and The Postman? They lost BIG money in the US, but the Europeans and Japanese LOVED them so much that they actually turned a profit! Unfortunately, this was not the case for Gigli, which fared as well overseas as it did here.

I think kids here in the US are getting wise too. They resent shelling out $18 for a CD that contains one decent (but ridiculously overplayed) song, while the rest of the album doesn't even qualify as B-side material. Perhaps they have been spending some quality time with their older siblings' or parents' CCR, Simon&Garfunkel. Led Zep, Pink Floyd, and Beatles albums and now they know what they've been missing. This is not to condone piracy, but it should be a wakeup call to the industry that lawsuits will not increase sales: higher quality material will increase sales.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

it is very difficult for bands to be spitting out 12-18 songs in a year and have all of them of good quality so I don't necessarily have a problem with that. I expect to like some songs, and others not so much. The problem is that the contracts bands are practically forced into signing have an ungodly short amount of time to get material writen and then recorded, which is why there are complaints about not having enough "good" material on CDs simply because creative process time has been cut. On top of that pressure, if a band doesn't succeed to a certain degree on their first CD sales, they get dropped! It takes a long time and lots of mistakes for good material to come. What record companies want are automatic huge hits. This started with the sensation of the Beatles because they were truly the first huge money makers, and after that, record companies got greedy and started forcing musicians to spit out music in hops that one good song is enough to make them a hit. Before the Beatles, musicians had a lot more leeway in making mistakes and the record companies gave them time and a few records before they made the decision to either cut or promote further.

Now, as for programs, those things are expensive!!! I am currently trying to raise enough money for some desperatly needed programming equipment for my college's radio station and it is almost impossible. $3600!!! I also love to dable in photoshop and some 3D movie programs, and those cost even more. So I think prices and greedy corporations are behind all this file swapping stuff.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

If they think it's bad now, what's it gonna be like when the majority of the world has highspeed internet access? There is no way they can beat this so they're gonna have to just accept it and change their business models accordingly.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Old 08-04-2004, 09:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
If I truely like a band- I will buy their Cd hands down, no questions asked. And most of the times the bands I like can be found for up to $10 at some music stores so its not that big of a deal.

However, when it comes to bands who pump out one good song (or catchy song) and won't be seen again- not because of lack of money from people burning instead of buying but because they flat out suck- why should I spend $10- $18 to support a career there is no hope for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky
"You spend all that money for a CD and the idiots just spend it on drugs, guns, cars and houses. Then they kill themselves (suicide) or die from a drug overdose or shot. By not buying the music I can still listen to it and not contribute to their death."
You know, I agree with that- not the "i help not contribute to their death" part but the concept in general. What do all of these musicians spend MY hard earned money on? Things that I will never in a million years be able to own.. and some things I would never be caught dead doing. Why? Because they hire someone to write their music and use recording equipment to make them sound good. There are some musicians and actors that I admire... but others- what did they do to deserve what they have? Im going to be a teacher and hopefully make a difference in 100's of lives... what will I get? Ha! Now, I can sing like the dickens but that doesn't mean I should make millions. The concept astounds me.... there are people that work so hard and are middle class people. And then there are people who (most of the time) have things done for them and make millions. It just stinks

sorry for the rant... *grrr*

Old 08-04-2004, 09:32 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
People need to develop some idea of what actions are ethical and what actions are unethical on the net. Just cause you have high speed does not mean yoru gonna be downloading files. Just like having a gun does not mean your gonna go out and comit crimes.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:05 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

If a band has one good song...can't you download that song for less than a buck...legally?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Closed Thread

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com