Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: P2P Sharing: Your stance
I do it and I am NOT afraid 7 35.00%
I do it and I AM afraid 2 10.00%
I used to do it but I stopped 5 25.00%
I have never done it but am considering 0 0%
I have never done it nor ever will 3 15.00%
P2P? Is that a new type of candy? 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2004, 10:20 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Yes!

$.99 per song from many different sources.

Infact the pay to download per song model of licensing makes alot of sense to the consumer and the artists. Think about it this way. How many albums do you have that you truly like EVERY song on the album? If your like me and those I know not to many of your albums are like that. And some you might only have 2-4 songs out of the dozen or so that you like to listen to. Why spend the $12-16 for the pleasure of having those few songs when you can spend more like $2-4 and have only the ones you like.

Its quite funny I have heard people talk about the $.99/song downloads as being a scam because it does not save you any money. I tell them this is true if you download the entire album at that price but why get the whole album unless you like the whole album.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:24 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ironically what you just described only came about because of the advent of Napster and P2P.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Old 08-04-2004, 11:29 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Its quite funny I have heard people talk about the $.99/song downloads as being a scam because it does not save you any money. I tell them this is true if you download the entire album at that price but why get the whole album unless you like the whole album.

Very good point Fishfreak, my wife does that occasionally. Another thing is that you really can log onto places like Amazon.com and actually listen to most of the songs on a CD. You only get to listen to a small (usually half) portion of the song, but you can pretty easily make up your mind as to how many of the songs you like and decide if you want to purchase the whole CD or not. If not you can just purchase the download of that song only.

Another interesting point is this:

On some of the sites, (I can't remember which ones I will have to ask the wife), you can download songs for a small fee, but you can only listen to them either on your computer or some device that you purchase. You cannot burn them to a CD to let's say play them on the stereo at home or in your car. Now that sucks.

Mike
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Old 08-05-2004, 09:44 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
I don't have time to read the whole thread right now, but here's my 2 cents:

I use P2P, somewhat infrequently, more frequently in the past. I haven't used it less because of the legal suits, but more out of er.. laziness. I rarely download movies, if ever. I sometimes download programs. More often, I download anime and music.

Now, why do I do this?

Because I'm 'poor' .. I don't consider myself poor, but I'm not exactly rich. I simply cannot afford currently to pay $20 every time an artist I like puts out a cd, or a new game comes out, or in the case of anime, it isn't available in the US.

I'll split it into those categories:

Music: I listen to a lot of techno. This is hard to find in the US in some cases, and general expensive. So I download large 80+ meg MP3s that people record at live shows and such, or even full length CD-rips. Most of these are only released in Europe. I have no regrets in downloading them. For American music, I'll use Linkin Park as an example. I like them, but I didn't have money when their three cds were released. So I downloaded, and when I had money, purchased. In the case of non-techno music, I use mp3s to either (a) backup a cd I own, or (b), preview a cd before I spend $20 on it, and in general if I don't buy it, I delete every but like 1-2 songs I really like.

Games: Gaming is a different subject. Illegal copies of games in general, cannot be played online. Multiplayer is in general the biggest draw in a game for me, for replay value. In general, I download games for three reasons: (a) To preview then purchase, (b) Because it only has single player and I don't want to pay $55 to play the game once.. If it was a console game instead of PC, I'd just rent it once for $4 at Blockbuster, (c) The local stores have not stocked the game yet and I MUST PLAY IT!. (c) is currently happening to me with Doom 3. None of the stores have it yet, even though the release date is two days past, so last night I gave in and started downloading it. As soon as its available locally, I will be purchasing it.

Anime: Whee. Well. Anime has a few programs. Either its not available in the US, drasticly censors or edited in the US, or prohibitly expensive. Where a normal DVD runs about $15-20, anime DVDs can run as high as $40 a piece. Since most animes are tv series, ie 26+ episode and roughly 6-8 DVDs, this is a VERY expensive hobby. I simply can't afford to do anything BUT download anime if I want to see the newest shows. I do occasionally purchase anime, but only when I can find a nice bargain (I've picked up the first 85 or so episodes of Sailor Moon (Or my wife did) for only $80 recently. Great buy).

So yeah. Hi
Old 08-05-2004, 11:11 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

So basically, you steal because you can Let's face it, nowhere near as many people did this sort of thing before the internet came along. As stated already, at the end of the day it's a moral and ethical decision, and no amount of justification can change that.

Just playing devils advocate.. I hardly consider myself a saint in this subject.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:38 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
I would offer my opinions on this, but it would most likely anger many people and possible result in revoke of access.

So, I'll just say this. Nice topic
Ditto.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:46 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
As stated already, at the end of the day it's a moral and ethical decision, and no amount of justification can change that.
I have a major problem with the price gouging the industry does. It costs less than $0.25 to make a CD with case, and so many people have a finger in it, they jack up the price to $18. I've seen MTV's Cribs, the performers are NOT suffering, the consumer is. Movies I understand a little bit more due to the cost of making them, but the cost of making a CD is minor in comparison.

File sharing has been around since we found out how to double side 5 1/4 floppies on an Apple IIE. It was done then, it is done now. People take measures to prevent it, people take measures to defeat these measures.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:50 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL, actually file sharing has been around since software came on audio cassettes My point was that the internet has made it far easier for masses upon masses of people to get stuff for free.

Like I said, I have nothing against doing it, I just don't agree with trying to justify stealing because you consider something to be too expensive. Let's face it, none of these items are anything we need.. it's things we want. Just like the example about the camera, I really want a particular car but I don't go out and steal it because I know I'd get caught How many people would continue to download if the chances of getting caught were just as high?

Old 08-05-2004, 12:58 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah, I know it isnt right but in your example, a physical object doesnt really compare quite the same... imagine this:

you really want that camera and you have a machine that has the capability to duplicate it for you (think Star Trek) and you have an extremely low chance of getting caught, all you need is to be able to see the camera and you can make a real copy for yourself. Maybe your mind would change a little, maybe not.

In the end, it is wrong, illegal and a morally bad choice to make.... but it is sooo tempting to so many people

I know high prices and profit for the makers are not a reason to steal but if those prices were to drop I still feel that the amount of stolen material would in turn drop off as well.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:04 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well now that everyone can burn their own CD/DVD's it IS the same thing because you end up with a physical copy that is an exact digital replica.

Closed Thread

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com