Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2005, 07:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
PBS special on Iraq

Some of you may want to tune in tonight:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/press/2308.html

Be sure to check your TV listings, it's actually 10PM for me.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:27 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

did anyone watch? I wasn't able to but am curious how it was.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
It aired at 9pm for us. Our local station elected to air the 'edited' version due to the timeslot the show was being aired. I didnt watch it but learned about the decision to run the edited version from the paper yesterday. Apparently the FCC told the PBS orginizaion that stations woudl not be fined for airing the unedited version but the local station decided to air the version with out the curse words anyway.

I am also interested in how the show was.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Guido
I watched it with my wife. It brought tears to my eyes when they talked about Babbit and the other Soldier Odums. They mentioned Odums when they received a letter from Babbitt's wife. Odums was from our town and I remember his funeral.
I think the most important part of the program was when the ING and Iraq Police finally stepped up and caught the terrorists and showed parking lot full of weapons and ordinance right next to the mosque.
The election was a great success, and Iraqi's are starting to take ownership.
It was a good look at what are boys are going through. I am proud of them.
I cant wait till they all come home.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Our local PBS station aired the uncensored version. It was very impressive, I taped it and will be watching it again. It presents an unbiased view of what is going on there, I think there can be many different things taken from it. There is a lot to be gleaned from the film. They did a good job of showing the human side of this conflict. I still can't believe all that happened within a 30 day period.

Sorry, I'm not really good at the whole review writing thing, I'll just say it was a very powerful piece that everyone should see--I believe that "supporting our troops" envolves being as educated as possible about what is going on over there. I feel like the media interest, and the public interest, is fading as fast as the colors on those yellow magnets.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:31 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

my station aired the piece again last night so I got to catch at least part of it this time. It was the uncensored version as well. Really wasn't too bad. The only time I heard foul language was when, quite frankly, you'd expect to hear it. I did only catch the last hour of it (how long is the whole piece?) so I can't comment on what I didn't see. But what I did see was powerful, as shawmutt mentioned.

I would highly recomend everyone watch it who has the opportunity.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The show is 90 minutes long, you can now watch it on pbs.org (see: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/company/ ). There's also a plethora of information about the show on the website. An encore presentation will be shown on TV March 1, again check local listings for times.

Another interesting Frontline is also being shown March 1st, "A Soldier's Heart," about shell shock from the war.

Closed Thread

Tags
spec

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com