Pea Crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KittyKatFishGrl

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I was in Culinary class today and we were shucking oysters and I found a crab in one of mine, after some research I have discovered it is a Pea Crab... I brought it home and I want to try and keep it as a pet... The information that I have gathered says they live in the oyster shell and feed off the oyster so if I bring home some live oysters I can house them together.. the bad news is that once inside of the shell I won't see it again... I also discovered that they eat plankton so I'm wondering if I put some shells and caves in a small tank with plankton and sand if I can pull it off... what do you think? Any and all advice welcome..
.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449035938.899747.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm assuming this is a brackish or marine crab and thus needs a brackish or marine setup. With that said I doubt it will last long in captivity. It seems like it has a parasitic relationship with oysters and thus needs them to survive. To keep oysters id think a stable tank with lots of micro life, e.g. Phytoplankton, zooplankton is necessary. Even if the crab lives, keeping the oysters alive long term would be a hassle.

Any idea the temp. Of the water or salinity these guys are found at?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know the amount of salt just that there's some involved, the oysters were salty...i don't know the salt, temp, lighting or water conditions....i just didn't want to let her die & no one in class was gonna eat her as I read they're considered delacacies & quite delicious.. I've never seen anything like this but I read they're quite common to find....

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom