Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
That's were we differ I guess. As a former retailer in the pet trade myself, it's your job (IMO) to show them a better way to achieve their goal. I've had people come to the store looking to put up a poorly set up 100 gallon tanks and walked out with a properly set up 40 gal tank because that's all their budget would allow for. They became longtime customers because I wouldn't give them what they wanted but instead, looked out for their long term interest ( keeping fish alive in a tank.) There's a difference between making a fast buck and making a good customer. I'm sure Petsmart would prefer having good customers, don't you think?

No I completely agree with what your saying that it's my job to help them out but not every person that comes in is going to listen to what you have to say. For example I had a lady come in asking for Ich treatment for her tropical fish and I gave her the option of adding aquarium salt or turning up the heater to 86. She didn't have a heater for her "tropical fish" and said all of that was too complicated and just asked for something to dump in your tank. I tried telling her that might stress her fish out and she'd have more success with what I had told her and she started getting mad. To avoid conflict I just let her get it and go. That's what I mean when I say people don't care and are going to do what they want. And that's just one example I can go on for days.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

No I completely agree with what your saying that it's my job to help them out but not every person that comes in is going to listen to what you have to say. For example I had a lady come in asking for Ich treatment for her tropical fish and I gave her the option of adding aquarium salt or turning up the heater to 86. She didn't have a heater for her "tropical fish" and said all of that was too complicated and just asked for something to dump in your tank. I tried telling her that might stress her fish out and she'd have more success with what I had told her and she started getting mad. To avoid conflict I just let her get it and go. That's what I mean when I say people don't care and are going to do what they want. And that's just one example I can go on for days.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsoto94 View Post

I hear ya We all have "WAR" stories. At least you made the attempt Let's hope the buddy and the Dad in the OP's story don't have that mentality
Old 04-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
I tend to not think of people as stupid but as uneducated which causes them to sometimes do stupid things. That all can be changed.......with time.
+1 I agree completely
Old 04-06-2014, 11:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Woah that's a lot of words... I'm like 99.99% sure there was nothing in that tank but dying fish, algae, and nitrates... But thanks! I think he knows I'm pretty pissed at me, so I'm just gonna hand him a slip of paper that reads, "Go to these sites, and do not make eye contact with me. If you do they will burn holes through your skull."

Cycling 45 Gallon. 🌊🐠🌊
Old 04-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandicorn View Post
Woah that's a lot of words... I'm like 99.99% sure there was nothing in that tank but dying fish, algae, and nitrates... But thanks! I think he knows I'm pretty pissed at me, so I'm just gonna hand him a slip of paper that reads, "Go to these sites, and do not make eye contact with me. If you do they will burn holes through your skull."

Cycling 45 Gallon. 🌊🐠🌊
Well that's your choice but I must say, not how someone who really cares should handle this (IMO).
FYI, Nobody touches my tanks, EVER! Not even with dead fish in them.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:

Cycling 45 Gallon. ������
Sounds like a great opportunity to introduce him to AA so that he can become educated and with your help learn about proper fish care
Old 04-06-2014, 11:59 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Pandicorn, don't give up. For the sake of the goldfish... Don't give up! Personally, with people like that, I'd try the back door approach.

I'd buy him a good book on goldfish, lots of pictures. I'd tell I was sorry for getting angry, but that only true friends who care about you get angry and that I was very concerned for the fish that his dad and him share. And, that the book was a peace offering.

Then, I would ask him if he would come and help me clean my tanks. Hopefully, he'd say yes. Then, when mine were finished, I'd ask, can I help you with yours?

I retired from public service and many a time I wanted to put my fist through a wall, but eventually I found it far more satisfying to creatively enter through the back door. You'll always go to bed knowing that you were above it and you did the right thing.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:35 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Well that's your choice but I must say, not how someone who really cares should handle this (IMO).
FYI, Nobody touches my tanks, EVER! Not even with dead fish in them.

Bah! Lol let me re-phrase what I meant xD. It's spring break atm, so I am going to compile a list of helpful sites. Once SB is over, I will hand him a sheet of paper, and it will say "Read with your dad." It will include: My phone #, list of helpful sites. I will link him to AA if he has any q's I cannot answer. Lol I hope this makes me look like a crazy jerk x)

Cycling 45 Gallon. 🌊🐠🌊
Old 04-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Bah! Lol let me re-phrase what I meant xD. It's spring break atm, so I am going to compile a list of helpful sites. Once SB is over, I will hand him a sheet of paper, and it will say "Read with your dad." It will include: My phone #, list of helpful sites. I will link him to AA if he has any q's I cannot answer. Lol I hope this makes me look like a crazy jerk x)

Cycling 45 Gallon. ������

I wouldn't say you looked like a jerk just a person who cares and was very frustrated about the situation, but that you are planning on continuing to try and help your friend and give him guidance only shows a strength of character on your part. If he chooses to ignore your advice so be it, at least you will know that you tried which is the most any of us can do.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com