Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Teeth are living things too! I have a few people close to me with tanks, not all the best care and maintainence go into them. I offer advice if asked, other than that I say nothing. My standards of aquatic cleanliness and ascetics differ greatly from theirs, and that's cool.its one thing to come on a site like this and seek help, it's another to have your friend attempt a guerrilla water change Rambo style just look at your tank and smile..

Old 04-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Eh...I really need to change my sig to "as a pet store employee...", because I use that phrase in about 90% of my posts on here...

But, as a pet store employee....tell the jerk about his abuse, but try not to imply that he's a jerk...instead stress the benefits of a well-maintained tank ("Loose that gross brown scum! Beautiful, active fish blah blah!"), then, let it go: you'll drive yourself insane trying to solve all the pet fish's problems in the world...take it from me! Some people just believe the powers that be put fish on this earth so we could plunk them in a glass box for our amusement, and slowly kill them with their own filth.

Some WILL listen, if you phrase it the right way...other won't. It's not worth raising your blood pressure over, when it won't make a difference.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Teeth are living things too! I have a few people close to me with tanks, not all the best care and maintainence go into them. I offer advice if asked, other than that I say nothing. My standards of aquatic cleanliness and ascetics differ greatly from theirs, and that's cool.its one thing to come on a site like this and seek help, it's another to have your friend attempt a guerrilla water change Rambo style just look at your tank and smile..

Lol, you guys make me sound so rude! I was trying to help him, and he says , "Why don't you show me." After 10 minutes of hauling my 5 gal bucket and stuff up there, he tells me he doesn't want me to do it. Make up your mind! He then insists I stay for 90 min more, to wait for his dad. Like c'mon, you can't just tell me to run home, with me thinking it will be a 5 min thing and then change your mind and say, "Ok never mind just wait."
Old 04-08-2014, 02:04 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandicorn View Post
Lol, you guys make me sound so rude! I was trying to help him, and he says , "Why don't you show me." After 10 minutes of hauling my 5 gal bucket and stuff up there, he tells me he doesn't want me to do it. Make up your mind! He then insists I stay for 90 min more, to wait for his dad. Like c'mon, you can't just tell me to run home, with me thinking it will be a 5 min thing and then change your mind and say, "Ok never mind just wait."

Haha...passionate fish people love to debate! I enjoy participating

I vote you just do the "rambo-style" maintenance mentioned, because it offers two possibilities:

1- You will successfully pull it off and improve the fish's lives.

2- EXCELLENT piece for the local news after you get caught. You will be a legend. Send me a news clipping?
Old 04-08-2014, 04:16 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've worked for Pet Stores a few times over the years. Last was being a Pet Care Lead at my local Petsmart ( like an assistant manager for the live animals and fish ).

I had one lady insist on talking to the Store Manager. She bitterly complained that I was refusing to sell her a baby Bala Shark for a 10g tank. She was insisting she'd upgrade to a bigger tank.

My manager explained I was the expert and if I wasn't happy selling her the fish, then the health of our animals and fish was our priority.

She only started saying she would buy a bigger tank AFTER I refused to sell it for a 10g.

We'd had too many dead baby Balas returned for panicking and killing themselves in 10g tanks. All alone, no friends and tiny tank...all bad. Fast baby fish bashes into side of tank and another dead one. So I finally got them to stop selling them to small tanks.

The success stories were nice. The couple that was ready to give away their tank. After killing two tankfuls of fish in a row. Trying to add too many too fast to an uncycled 20g.

I got them to buy a trio of Cherry Barbs. Live plants and a test kit.
They added more Barbs later. About 3 months later they came to announce they had 30 baby Cherry Barbs

Every store is different. Some LFS suck, some big box stores don't some people are convinced that fish only live a year or two. My crazy Harlequin Rasbora girl is at least 6yrs old.

I learn new stuff everyday 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:55 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post

I think this is the most important thing to take from this. We are always learning. We can never know everything in any subject. It's what you do with the knowledge that counts.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
I think this is the most important thing to take from this. We are always learning. We can never know everything in any subject. It's what you do with the knowledge that counts.
So, so true!!! "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~Socrates
Old 04-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistGardener View Post
So, so true!!! "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~Socrates
+1......Words to live by
Old 04-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
I've worked for Pet Stores a few times over the years. Last was being a Pet Care Lead at my local Petsmart ( like an assistant manager for the live animals and fish ).

I had one lady insist on talking to the Store Manager. She bitterly complained that I was refusing to sell her a baby Bala Shark for a 10g tank. She was insisting she'd upgrade to a bigger tank.

My manager explained I was the expert and if I wasn't happy selling her the fish, then the health of our animals and fish was our priority.

She only started saying she would buy a bigger tank AFTER I refused to sell it for a 10g.

We'd had too many dead baby Balas returned for panicking and killing themselves in 10g tanks. All alone, no friends and tiny tank...all bad. Fast baby fish bashes into side of tank and another dead one. So I finally got them to stop selling them to small tanks.

The success stories were nice. The couple that was ready to give away their tank. After killing two tankfuls of fish in a row. Trying to add too many too fast to an uncycled 20g.

I got them to buy a trio of Cherry Barbs. Live plants and a test kit.
They added more Barbs later. About 3 months later they came to announce they had 30 baby Cherry Barbs

Every store is different. Some LFS suck, some big box stores don't some people are convinced that fish only live a year or two. My crazy Harlequin Rasbora girl is at least 6yrs old.

I totally agree! Some petsmarts (My local one) has Pretty knowledgable employees. I find if you show you know what you're talking about, they won't try to pressure to buy random stuff as much. For example... When I first got my 10 gal, I lost 2 / 3 fish. Then employees (Diff then current store) told me nothing about cycling, nothing about live plants, ammonia, anything. Now, 1 year later, new petsmart, right off the bat, first time in store, I get asked if my tank is cycled. Score! Not all big chain stores are bad, ya know :P

Cycling 45 Gallon. 🌊🐠🌊
Old 04-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Come to the sw side and you will see a whole new definition of stupidity...lol

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com