People can be stupid...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Come to the sw side and you will see a whole new definition of stupidity...lol

Ahh man I can't even begin to imagine. Although do people really just go straight for saltwater fish?

I know I COULD do it but I know I just do not have the time to make it enjoyable for me or the fish.

Come to the sw side and you will see a whole new definition of stupidity...lol

+1. Don't get me started on that front :ROFLMAO: " What do you mean I can't keep a panther grouper in my 20 High tank?" "What???? There's no way that nurse shark will outgrow my 55 gallon tank!"
And one of my all time faves: "$19.95 for that Naso Tang? I can go down to the beach and catch one for free!!!! ( This was said to me, in a Florida Pet shop where I worked back in the 80s, by a semi- regular customer. Nasos are not Atlantic fish. :whistle:)
Should I continue??? :D:lol:

None of my friends are into aquariums sadly. But I'm partially content with that because I don't have stories like this one. Sometimes you overhear stuff at the pet shop though and cringe a little

"10 comets(feeder fish) can't live in a 1 gallon children's sandbox. " -me
"Oh ok so I'll just feed them more :)" -friend
"Nooo, they need at least a filter and at least 55 gallons"
"Eh whatever it's so my kid learns a lesson of responsibility"
??????????????

there are plenty of ignorant fish keepers out there:whistle:, but what annoys me are the experienced and knowledgable people who readily buy into things like "stunted fishes inernal organs continue to grow causing painful even exploding death":facepalm:...yet all the research on stunted fish has shown all kinds of results, (stress, shortened life span, eyes continue to grow, deformities, no problems identified, possible new subspecies, etc.) but never excessive growth of internal organs (bone problems seem to be one of the most common serious issues of interest):deadhorse:...so, the most common response is "well since it hasn't been disproven we should still tell people this to deter them":banghead:

rant over...i'm going back to:popcorn:....i've seen lots of good advice on this forum that can get drowned out at times...

op...you can only help those who know they need help...

So I skipped most of page 3. I myself am trying to hold my brother and my friend's hands as they enter the aquaria world lol my brother is a little more open to suggestions and my friend is starting to understand, but at the end of the day whatever choice is made is theirs and if I offered my opinion, I did my duty. I have suggested both to AA but neither have checked it out yet I don't think,

I would like to make a suggestion. Treating someone like they are stupid, makes them feel stupid, and therefore deffensive. I agree that tact is key here. I am very new to this hobby, and have made some honest (stupid) mistakes. One thing I hate, is when a person talks down to me, or makes me feel bad, when I honestly didn't mean to do anything wrong. And honestly, sometimes, people who claim to know everything, in fact, do not. Case in point, my local Petco. We bought our first tank there, and they gave us tons of bad information, and then made us feel terrible when we had fish die. We thought at the time, we were taking advice from professionals. We didn't even know you had to cycle a tank, and these people never explained, but just kept trying to push more products on us. This is part of the reason we joined this forum. It seems like your heart is in the right place, but try not to be too angry. We all had to start at the beginning and build our knowledge, and hurting someone's feelings does not help them gain knowledge. Just my two cents, as a fellow "stupid" person trying to learn.

I would like to make a suggestion. Treating someone like they are stupid, makes them feel stupid, and therefore deffensive. I agree that tact is key here. I am very new to this hobby, and have made some honest (stupid) mistakes. One thing I hate, is when a person talks down to me, or makes me feel bad, when I honestly didn't mean to do anything wrong. And honestly, sometimes, people who claim to know everything, in fact, do not. Case in point, my local Petco. We bought our first tank there, and they gave us tons of bad information, and then made us feel terrible when we had fish die. We thought at the time, we were taking advice from professionals. We didn't even know you had to cycle a tank, and these people never explained, but just kept trying to push more products on us. This is part of the reason we joined this forum. It seems like your heart is in the right place, but try not to be too angry. We all had to start at the beginning and build our knowledge, and hurting someone's feelings does not help them gain knowledge. Just my two cents, as a fellow "stupid" person trying to learn.

Meh, not calling unknowing people stupid. Making an honest mistake is not stupid. You are just inexperienced, that's all. I only consider someone "stupid" when they are repeatedly told how to do something properly and don't, due to laziness, ignorance, whatever.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

excellent post (y). and that goes not only for aquariums , but any and every other aspect of life

Back
Top Bottom