Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-01-2015, 03:21 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil83 View Post
It's not even healthy for the fish, who knows what kind of disease or parasites the fish can get from that, I'm sure in the wild this happens but deliberately doing it is another thing.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Oh, I'm with you on that one. I couldn't even make it through the video.
__________________

__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
PS. Listen to Andy, he is the jedi master of bettas.
Good one! I'm just trying to be the voice of facts versus opinions. As they say" Everyone can have an opinion but not everyone's opinion is based on facts." ( I cleaned that up A LOT for this forum. )

Hopefully the OP and "the problem" can work things out.
__________________

__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:13 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Molson_28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 180
The problem is that people buy these stupid small tanks and fish bowls. If nobody bought them them the company wouldn't make them. Shame on the fish stores for selling them. Try living in a closet the rest of your life and see how you like it. Just because a fish can survive in one gallon of water doesn't make it right.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Molson_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson_28 View Post
The problem is that people buy these stupid small tanks and fish bowls. If nobody bought them them the company wouldn't make them. Shame on the fish stores for selling them. Try living in a closet the rest of your life and see how you like it. Just because a fish can survive in one gallon of water doesn't make it right.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
And this is a perfect example of opinion vs fact. Yes, most fish will not do well in 1 gallon of water but that does not apply to all fish. In nature, there are fish that stay in probably less than a gallon's worth of water their entire lives so if that gallon bowl or tank can be kept clean, why is that bowl or small tank a bad thing?
The real problem is people put the wrong things in the wrong places. Would you put water in the gas tank of your car? How about cooking oil in the radiator? Obviously not. But now let's look at real situations: People let pet birds fly loose in rooms with operating ceiling fans or windows that are open without any thought of the consequences of doing these things. I don't see many people calling the bird police on that one. The family dog or cat is allowed to sleep outside, unguarded from predators, yet nobody complains when they are attacked and killed. ( RIP fido or mr. whiskers ) Isn't this animal cruelty when the pet had no defenses because we trained them not to bark or declawed them so they won't ruin the furniture? Do we not allow these people to buy or obtain replacement pets after this? What about handling the pet turtle when the tank's water hasn't been changed in a month and the turtle has a good case of salmonella in or on it? Does it matter that it was in 30 gallons of water? Do we cheer that the person got sick because of that? Fish are no different.
It's all about proper education. That's on YOU! ( The general you not the specific you. ) The same way you don't buy one of everything you see in the grocery store just because they have it for sale, you don't buy the wrong container for the wrong pet. So is the problem REALLY the small tanks and bowls or is it something else?
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Molson_28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 180
I believe it's the small tanks and bowls. Again. Go live in a closet and tell me if u like it


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Molson_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson_28 View Post
I believe it's the small tanks and bowls. Again. Go live in a closet and tell me if u like it


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Okay, to you or I, a 5' 10" 240+ lb person, a closet would be too small to live in but if I were a 1" or 2" person weighing only an ounce or 2, a closet would feel like a huge place to live in. So it's your perspective that is not seeing clearly. What's small to some is huge to others.
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:52 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Okay, to you or I, a 5' 10" 240+ lb person, a closet would be too small to live in but if I were a 1" or 2" person weighing only an ounce or 2, a closet would feel like a huge place to live in. So it's your perspective that is not seeing clearly. What's small to some is huge to others.

I get your point Andy. Point being, small tanks and bowls CAN be used, but they must be stocked appropriately. 9/10 times it's a new fish keeper that is not stocking it probably which results in disaster. Nano tanks are actually becoming a think these days. Search up the nano reefs that some people make only being a couple gallons.

completely IMO... Anything under 2 gallons shouldn't hold a fish. That's just me. Under 2g you can do shrimp or snails


Caleb
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:57 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Molson_28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 180
I've read books on nano tanks. I've researched fish for hours and hours like most people who are into this hobby do. I really don't care if a beta fish can survive in a puddle in the wild. Your kitchen, living room or bedroom isn't the wild. You have the means and the common sense to give this little life a proper home. A better home. So a little respect for the fish and give it something it can be happy in.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Molson_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:09 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,175
It's not really If nobody bought them them the company wouldn't make them. People use a lot of containers that weren't specifically made and sold for fishkeeping, lots of threads at TPK about nano bowls, vases, etc.

Is a better life for a betta a well-maintained 1g or the small cup at the store?

Not trying to argue, lots of good points here...just thought I'd toss in a few thoughts
__________________
TheresaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Molson_28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 180
I understand the company not making these tiny bowls wouldn't stop people from putting fish in tiny containers. I'm just saying that if people didn't buy that one specific product. Then the company would not put it on the shelf because nobody would buy it. They wouldn't be making any money off of these tiny fish bowls and so in turn they would replace that shelf space with something that does sell. Company's are there to make money not display tiny bowls that do not sell. The problem is they do sell so that's why they carry them


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Molson_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
care, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you believe people used to flush their fish... JDogg Aquaria Off-Topic 13 05-09-2007 03:33 AM
German Blue rams, and taking care of their eggs/fry Jarred Darque Cichlid Discussion 3 03-25-2006 03:22 PM
And we wonder why people crush their tanks with fish? Brenden Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 02-13-2006 09:00 PM
Covincing People To Rethink Their Fish. . . Can You Help? honmol Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 15 11-03-2005 12:12 AM
Puzzle--Can clown fish lose their immunity to their hosts? wyliethomas Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 05-19-2004 05:51 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.