Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

There is a LARGE difference between people not taking care of fish when properly advised and people buying a "small " tank for their very first.
Most did not enter this hobby with full blown "MTS" and large aquariums or the knowledge to maintain them.
M you are way off topic here and have not considered that as "inappropriate" IMO as most of these setups are in the application most use them ,we all started somewhere.
It is not for any of us to judge a new keepers merit on how they enter the hobby as much as how they receive information.
I hope this helps you?
I am with Andy(surprised?) there is a place for small tank WE just don't seem to be able to control our behavior enough to use them properly.
You really want to the blame the people(Aqueon for one) who made my 180 gallon tank!
I don't appreciate that.
I appreciate people with facts that can back a good opinion!

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #32
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

It's been interesting watching the guy opposite me learn the ropes of fish keeping. One thing I've been reminded on is that there is an incredible amount to learn.

First lesson on cycling was reduced to ammonia 'bad' and nitrates = water change. Entire discussions we have here on exactly what level of nitrates was bad (if any) was out the window. Ammonia vs ph got a real blank look. Nice to know it's not just me that has bad chemistry

Second one was on feeding fancy goldfish and issues. This time he had googled some good answers and just needed a bit more. Got two useful tips across. Still nagging on a water test kit but he does have a filter now so great progress.

Is the tank too small - yep, it will be. I'm not a huge fan of small tanks as I find them limiting although I recognise many people make them work well. But baby steps, baby steps - the interest is there, he's learning and the fish are going ok.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
I get your point Andy. Point being, small tanks and bowls CAN be used, but they must be stocked appropriately. 9/10 times it's a new fish keeper that is not stocking it probably which results in disaster. Nano tanks are actually becoming a think these days. Search up the nano reefs that some people make only being a couple gallons.

completely IMO... Anything under 2 gallons shouldn't hold a fish. That's just me. Under 2g you can do shrimp or snails

Caleb
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaM View Post
It's not really If nobody bought them them the company wouldn't make them. People use a lot of containers that weren't specifically made and sold for fishkeeping, lots of threads at TPK about nano bowls, vases, etc.

Is a better life for a betta a well-maintained 1g or the small cup at the store?

Not trying to argue, lots of good points here...just thought I'd toss in a few thoughts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
There is a LARGE difference between people not taking care of fish when properly advised and people buying a "small " tank for their very first.
Most did not enter this hobby with full blown "MTS" and large aquariums or the knowledge to maintain them.
M you are way off topic here and have not considered that as "inappropriate" IMO as most of these setups are in the application most use them ,we all started somewhere.
It is not for any of us to judge a new keepers merit on how they enter the hobby as much as how they receive information.
I hope this helps you?
I am with Andy(surprised?) there is a place for small tank WE just don't seem to be able to control our behavior enough to use them properly.
You really want to the blame the people(Aqueon for one) who made my 180 gallon tank!
I don't appreciate that.
I appreciate people with facts that can back a good opinion!
No CB, I'm not surprised. I didn't type anything that is not factually correct I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
It's been interesting watching the guy opposite me learn the ropes of fish keeping. One thing I've been reminded on is that there is an incredible amount to learn.

First lesson on cycling was reduced to ammonia 'bad' and nitrates = water change. Entire discussions we have here on exactly what level of nitrates was bad (if any) was out the window. Ammonia vs ph got a real blank look. Nice to know it's not just me that has bad chemistry

Second one was on feeding fancy goldfish and issues. This time he had googled some good answers and just needed a bit more. Got two useful tips across. Still nagging on a water test kit but he does have a filter now so great progress.

Is the tank too small - yep, it will be. I'm not a huge fan of small tanks as I find them limiting although I recognise many people make them work well. But baby steps, baby steps - the interest is there, he's learning and the fish are going ok.
These all have points that I was trying to get out: The PEOPLE keeping these smaller tanks need to be better educated as to what can actually live in them more than they should be banned all together. But this brings up another sore topic ( for me ) of where we are getting our education from. ( I'm not even going to start that conversation....again ) Personally, I'm not a big fan of the micro tanks. Most of the fish that can fit in them, I believe, would do better in larger spaces. But again, this is my OPINION and I only give that when it's asked for. I don't tell someone they are wrong for doing it in the smaller tanks if they are keeping the fish healthy ( or as healthy as they would be in larger tanks. )

But I thought this thread was about the OP a Betta and someone not willing to be taught ( or not liking HOW they were being taught) ?
Old 09-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular

Location: Canada, the hardest place to get fish shipped to you
I agree that a one gallon maintained tank is OK for a betta but, everyone I know with a betta in a bowl doesn't change the water within a month. So people with the space, time and money for a one gallon need to meeting better living requirements than that.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Fever View Post
I agree that a one gallon maintained tank is OK for a betta but, everyone I know with a betta in a bowl doesn't change the water within a month. So people with the space, time and money for a one gallon need to meeting better living requirements than that.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
So then, isn't the question more, WHY these people don't change the water in a month's time? I would have to think it's because they don't know they have to. If they were instructed to from the beginning, maybe they would.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree with you Andy. Bettas in generally are chill fish. It's not like you're putting a school of giant danios in a small tank. As long as you know that a small tank or bowl needs more attention regarding wc's then your good to go. I have known many people who keep a betta in a bowl and frankly were spoiled and lived a long life.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 09-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
So then, isn't the question more, WHY these people don't change the water in a month's time? I would have to think it's because they don't know they have to. If they were instructed to from the beginning, maybe they would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey W. View Post
I agree with you Andy. Bettas in generally are chill fish. It's not like you're putting a school of giant danios in a small tank. As long as you know that a small tank or bowl needs more attention regarding wc's then your good to go. I have known many people who keep a betta in a bowl and frankly were spoiled and lived a long life.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
And both of these lead us back to OPs original.
It is not a small tank discussion really IMO.
If you know how to KEEP fish then the tank size only determines your timming,not behavior.
Being given help , and possibly even more infuriating to be asked for help and then having it ignored ,can lead many with wisdom,patience, or tact(I wish I could buy one of them) to calmly say "it is what it is because it is??".
Others would offer assistance and keep trying to help "the unhelp able"
Andy is way to kind(I definitely fall far short ) "maybe they would?"
I wish they would.
Stacey is right also .
Spoiled has nothing to do with having a huge tank for a fish that really does not demand it.
It is more an attention to water/life quality for the fish IMO.
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
And both of these lead us back to OPs original.
It is not a small tank discussion really IMO.
If you know how to KEEP fish then the tank size only determines your timming,not behavior.........

It is more an attention to water/life quality for the fish IMO.
+1 to that
Old 09-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
I will say this- there seems to be a general (but not 100%) correlation between people who buy bowls/vases for their betta giving them very little attention, and people who buy them proper setups being the sort to give them very good care. I think that's where this split in opinion is rooted.

To be 100% clear- I'm not saying anyone who keeps bettas in a small container(bowl, vase or otherwise) is a bad fishkeeper, just that good fishkeepers tend to buy tanks while inexperienced fishkeepers tend to buy bowls.
sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

My friend has a betta that she keeps in an unfiltered, unheated 2 gallon tank, and only does partial water changes every few months.

Tags
care, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com