People not taking care of their fish - rant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will say this- there seems to be a general (but not 100%) correlation between people who buy bowls/vases for their betta giving them very little attention, and people who buy them proper setups being the sort to give them very good care. I think that's where this split in opinion is rooted.

To be 100% clear- I'm not saying anyone who keeps bettas in a small container(bowl, vase or otherwise) is a bad fishkeeper, just that good fishkeepers tend to buy tanks while inexperienced fishkeepers tend to buy bowls.

100% agree. About every bowl owner I have seen that's a true statement.

Caleb

To me it comes down to which is worse: A fish in a tank that is too small with well maintained water or a fish that is in a huge tank with dirty water. The fish with they dirty water will die a lot faster than the fish in the smaller tank. I doubt fish can tell much of a difference between a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon as long as they are appropriately stocked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have room to take in 2 refugees? I saw this post while perusing CL today. They're located in Lynnwood, WA. It's good to see they're leaving the hobby as well.

"angel has 4" body $15
loach is 5" $15
or trade for something besides fish stuff"

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1445218987684.jpg
    1445218987684.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 1445219019513.jpg
    1445219019513.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 78
Anyone have room to take in 2 refugees? I saw this post while perusing CL today. They're located in Lynnwood, WA. It's good to see they're leaving the hobby as well.

"angel has 4" body $15
loach is 5" $15
or trade for something besides fish stuff"

Any idea what kind of loach that is? Can't tell from the picture

Botia of some sort...

Maybe a Yoyo.

Caleb

Probably botiidae, maaaaybe could be nemacheilidae. But that leaves a ton of options. Looks too thin to be a yoyo, although it could just be horribly malnourished. I'd be willing to take the loach and pay for shipping if that would be an option, if I knew what kind of loach it is.

I can email you the link to their ad. It's a yoyo loach and blue pearl angel that they still have listed today.

We should just bombard their email(I did once) to take them to a LFS. They should have considered that long ago imo.

Any pets bought and then neglected shows a lot about somebody's all around character.

We should just bombard their email(I did once) to take them to a LFS. They should have considered that long ago imo.

Any pets bought and then neglected shows a lot about somebody's all around character.

Well if there was a way I can personally take that yoyo I'd do it... hate for the poor guy to end up at a lfs....

I mentioned in the email a couple good LFS that would take them. Not the chains.
Not my first choice either, but it's better than with them. I was hoping there'd be someone else local that might see this and have room for them.
Nobody on AA seems to live on the west coast. What's up with that?

Lack of regard for fish is a widespread problem. The lfs are usually too worried about the $ to question or educate the buyer and the buyer is usually too lazy to do any research. I absolutely despise seeing fish in tanks that are not adequate for the size of the fish. When I was quite young the bait store in my town sold aquarium fish as well. The owner had a huge Oscar in what must have been a 10g. Even then it made me sad because this fish clearly could not move at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom