Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

People not taking care of their fish - rant

Okay so this is a rant. Maybe some of you share the same issues.

Betta fish are so mistreated and are the most common "let's buy a fish on a whim" type of fish. I live the dorms in college and a lot of people have bettas in their rooms. I have two each in a 5 gallon with filters and all the right jazz. I have one friend who has hers in less than a half gallon and he's bloated. I think he's getting dropsy. Half of my friends kill their fish and wonder why they die. But one thing happend today that really pissed me off. My friend bought a Betta yesterday. I went with her. I tried to convince her to buy a bigger tank. A 5 gallon is cheaper and better for them I say. You can always get a filter later. (Because imo a 5 gallon with no filter is better than a tiny 1 gallon with a filter for a betta). Nope they get the one gallon. So they set it up. I stay out of it. The water level is way too low and the Betta hammock is like at the bottom of the tank. So I point those two tiny things out and I get a "it's fine". Today she messages me saying sorry if she sounded rude but they followed the directions and it's correct. I try to point it out one more time and we get into a big fight. I was nice about it. She's like it's not wrong and we didn't ask for your advice. Yells at me and says just because you've had one for awhile does not make you a guru. (Not to toot my own horn but I've owned fish for 5+ years and have done tons and tons of research... So yeah I like to think I'm a "guru" and 5+ years is longer than "awhile").

They probably didn't even aclamate their fish properly and are probably going to over feed him. They read the directions but you guys more than anyone know that directions on a box or advice from a pet store employee is not worth crap.

I know I can't save all the fish but I feel really bad.... It pisses me off that no one listens. What do I do? Do you guys deal with this?

I'm so done lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 08-31-2015, 01:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

People not taking care of their fish - rant

I don't even try with friends. Unless they ask for help. And even when they ask for help, I will stop the moment they get defensive about what they were told before asking me. So at that point I tell them to google because google knows everything.

It sucks to see the fish suffer but there is nothing you can do about it if your offers of help/advice falls on deaf ears.

t4runnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

You're right. I even told her I'm not going to give any advice and to not ask for help. Because she was like if something was seriously wrong you'd be the first one we would come to. And now I'm not going to help. They lost my help with how they acted.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I understand one of my coworkers has a bluegill in a bowl. We even work at a vet clinic! You would think she would be more compassionate. But you know everyone says "it's just a fish".

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 08-31-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chels10117 View Post
Because she was like if something was seriously wrong you'd be the first one we would come to. And now I'm not going to help. They lost my help with how they acted.

Okay, I get it. HOWEVER, if you are truly interested in trying to help others prevent the problems, you might want to answer "if something was seriously wrong you'd be the first one we would come to" with, "At that point, it will be too late. What I can do NOW is help you avoid any of the possible problems in the future. Here's how..." and go from there.
Bettas, unfortunately, are one of the most misunderstood and often fought over fish in the hobby. How we like to keep them is far from how they actually live. How we perceive they should be kept is far from the reality of how they are kept by the breeders who made them. So there are 2 schools of thought when it comes to keeping Bettas. One is more work than the other but neither is actually "wrong" . Explain both ways and leave the choice up to the owner.

That's if you truly are interested in trying to help a fellow fish keeper ( or someone who may become a larger scale fishkeeper. )

Hope this helps
Old 08-31-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Okay, I get it. HOWEVER, if you are truly interested in trying to help others prevent the problems, you might want to answer "if something was seriously wrong you'd be the first one we would come to" with, "At that point, it will be too late. What I can do NOW is help you avoid any of the possible problems in the future. Here's how..." and go from there.
Bettas, unfortunately, are one of the most misunderstood and often fought over fish in the hobby. How we like to keep them is far from how they actually live. How we perceive they should be kept is far from the reality of how they are kept by the breeders who made them. So there are 2 schools of thought when it comes to keeping Bettas. One is more work than the other but neither is actually "wrong" . Explain both ways and leave the choice up to the owner.

That's if you truly are interested in trying to help a fellow fish keeper ( or someone who may become a larger scale fishkeeper. )

Hope this helps
Yeah, but I don't want to help her if she's not willing to listen. If it was something serious I'd help for the fishes sake. Not hers. Also our conversation ended on a bad note. So I'm letting it settle for now.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes well people don't listen. They never do. I have similar problems, even people on here who get 5 answers all the same don't listen. Do your best. When the fish dies you can choose to say "I told you so" or not. Maybe you should make betta care sheets up and hang them somewhere in the dorm. That way those who want help can take a sheet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
Yes well people don't listen. They never do. I have similar problems, even people on here who get 5 answers all the same don't listen. Do your best. When the fish dies you can choose to say "I told you so" or not. Maybe you should make betta care sheets up and hang them somewhere in the dorm. That way those who want help can take a sheet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Search "fishbowl" on Instagram and you will see just how many people are so misinformed. Beyond that, like said above, people don't care. They say "it's just a fish". If that was a bunch of dead puppies at Walmart instead of bettas in cups there would be a riot.

I actually have a simple care sheet typed up with various sources I use for Instagram. Just sometimes it just falls on those deaf ears. People who can't take 2 minutes to research.

Caleb
Old 08-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Right. Still sad. Oh well I just won't take it to heart. Care sheets is a good idea though I like that. Can't save all the fish I guess. On a lighter note I found this funny picture on fb... Lol it reminded me of this.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1441045431583.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	277244  
Old 08-31-2015, 03:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Oh I've been there, trust me. Even within the marine science program I'm in. True story: This summer during my internship I was asked to do a water change on a zebrafish tank using tap water. When I asked where the water conditioner was, they said, "Oh they don't need that."

Another story: A senior who just graduated gave my fellow fishkeeping friend a betta that was allegedly a female (turned out to be a male). This girl did her entire senior project on betta fish behavior yet couldn't tell the gender or be bothered to provide the fish more than a 1 gallon unfiltered unheated bowl.

My advice is to do as much as you can to help the people who are willing to listen and let it go for those who aren't. I've pushed a few people in my life really far in the right direction when it comes to fishkeeping- a former tutor student of mine has a beautiful 10 gallon with a trio of platys in her dorm room. I walked her through equipment, cycling and stocking after she inherited the tank from a family member. A labmate and neighbor in my apartment complex is up to his 4th fish tank, all of them pretty well stocked because he takes me with him every time he goes to choose fish. Both of them were dedicated to having happy fish and willing to listen to my experience to do things right. Unfortunately, people who don't care and people who think they know better aren't gonna listen anyway.

sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
care, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com