Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: which animal?
guinea pig 6 46.15%
hamster 0 0%
gerbil 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2005, 03:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I kept my rat in an old fish tank (when he was in it. he was so tame because I had him out constantly). Depending on what type of rabbit cage you have, a rat would do ok. The metal hutch type cages work great. Some of the coated wire cages with plastic bottoms they make for rabbits, I wouldn't trust. A guinea pig would do well in either type cage.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
well... my mom kind of hates rats. i kind of like mice but it reminds he too much of rats. im thinking of going with a gerbil.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Go for the rat. Make sure the bottom of the cage isn't wire (it damages their feet)
The wire top and plastic bottom work well, but mine keeps chewing through the plastic. He's got me trained quite well. He starts chewing on the cage, I go get him something else to chew on.

Kim
Old 06-30-2005, 05:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you want a rodent I vote for a rat. I had one years ago and she was the neatest small pet I have ever owned. My students named her Hairy Houdini and it ended up being a good name since she and her friend escaped (causing a panic at my school and their banishment. ) She would sit on my shoulder when I taught, snuggle on my neck under my long hair when she wanted to rest. She was also very clean compared to many rodents and would wash herself very carefully after being handled by a human.

I would get another rat, but they freak my husband out and he won't allow it!

I have had hamsters. Hamster bites HURT like the dickens. I will never have another one again. I have never had gerbils or guinea pigs.

Kimberly
Old 06-30-2005, 05:53 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Keep in mind that some rodents are social and it is encouraged that you buy at least 2 at a time. Gerbils are one such rodent. My two girls have two cages connected by tubing. They get tons of exercise running over the sliding glass door from cage to cage. My gerbils and degus are in my gallery.

Old 06-30-2005, 06:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

maybe a chinchilla type thing? if i can find one under 50$ ill probally get it. anybody have one?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've kept chinchillas. Very cool critters. But, due to their need to dust bathe, they can be very dirty. You have to buy them dust to roll in to keep themselves clean. Their coats are so dense, water messes them up. I've bred them in the past. I'd love to get another pair. Good luck finding one under 50bucks.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:27 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

ic... so thats improbable i guess.

how big of a cage do they need?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:28 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

If you want a chinchilla, they sell for $110 and up, from what I have seen. Degus are smaller relatives of the chinchilla and also enjoy dust baths. When I clean their cage, I put them in a cat carrier and add the dust. They are so cute rolling around, but I do not leave the dust in their cage.

Old 06-30-2005, 06:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol it is fun watching them bathe. I used to have a covered box for mine as well but it still made a mess. A chinchilla doesn't get large and a rabbit cage would be fine. They do like exercise though. Mine had a large running wheel that they wore out.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com