Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

You know what I find more annoying than ill informed customers? Overhearing a pet store employee give bad info. "Well, you can keep one inch of fish per gallon" is the most common. Heck, Petco even has that false info on one of their newest flyers.

I want to interject, but I just walk away. I'm not going to convince them. I don't have a blue shirt on with a fancy name tag.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvari View Post
People like you make working at the pet store bearable, even rewarding. I can count on one hand, in two years, that I've actually had a customer go to my manager and compliment me. I've had plenty say thank you to my face, but by telling my manager, it makes them see I am a valuable asset and that I deserve that next raise!
Aw, thanks. That is super nice.
I have some good friends in retail businesses of various sorts and they taught me the power of the compliment card. They said it meant more to them because I took the time to write it down rather than just saying it, and they also told me the managers read them so you can make sure a manager knows what I like in the store even if that manager is not currently on duty.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hate to say it but I use to be that kind of person talvari described...until I started listening to everyone's advice on here
Old 09-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvari View Post
I

"Water changer are too much work... Cant I just buy something...?"

This one just baffles my mind. You would rather spend money on worthless products that are going to do more harm than good instead of just spending twenty minutes once every other week doing a simple water change?!

Can anyone think of anything else that would drive you nuts in such a situation?
Does something exist? I would thing a constant cycle would be healthier for fish than changing the water (half the water seems fairly sudden). Not because I'm lazy, but just curious if anything exists or coming down the pipe.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-pro View Post
Does something exist? I would thing a constant cycle would be healthier for fish than changing the water (half the water seems fairly sudden). Not because I'm lazy, but just curious if anything exists or coming down the pipe.
There is not enough beneficial bacteria in the water column to affect the cycle. Most of your bacteria resides in your filter. Doing regular water changes is a must in order to get rid of the waste that gathers in a static environment. If these fish were out in the wild, they would have tons of live plants and organisms helping break down waste, including evaporation and regular rainfall to help prevent an overflow of waste.

There are products that help neutralize ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, but they are NOT a permanent solution and using too much of it can cause problems, particularly in a new tank.

55 gallon, 46 gallon, 10 gallon, 5 gallon, 2.5 gallon
Talvari is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com