Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2004, 11:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AdamsZoological Send a message via Yahoo to AdamsZoological
Pet store horror story (reptile related)

I posted this over on www.reptileadvice.com already but wanted to post here too for anyone that doesn't read those forums but might be interested. And, oh btw, people really should join the reptile and bird forums, they are great! Anyway, on to the story.

Walked into a local store today, to hear about one of the most extreme cases of horrible advice ever. Stepped back into their reptile room, just as one of their employees had a lady with her two kids back there, asking about lizards. The lady started by asking about Iguanas, the employee started by saying they were an EXCELLENT pet, this being an animal for an 11yr old, can be kept in dog cages, and basically that they're carnivores. She told her that they start off eating crickets, and when they get bigger, they eat, get this...rabbits. Also, the employee seemed to think male an female Iguanas stay the same size...news to me. The next thing afterwards, is one of the kids noticed a leopard gecko in a cage, and asked about them, the employee continued by responding that Leopard Geckos are horrible pets, and hate people, then proceeded to continue about how great of a pet Iguanas are. Just wanted to share, the particular store's manager will be getting a very vocal call on Tuesday morning, to say the least. I'm also considering sending a report into PIJAC.

Old 05-31-2004, 12:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Disgusting.

The lack of enforced regulation in many pet stores is disturbing.

Old 05-31-2004, 01:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure there is an emoticon in existance that would accurately display what I'm feeling right now.... Ignorance, just plain ignorance... Either they don't know any better or they do, either way I believe the best word is Ignorance........

Quote:
oh btw, people really should join the reptile and bird forums, they are great!
Oh good, we have another recruiter
But seriously... those sites are great...
Old 05-31-2004, 01:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
funny thing about that story is my girlfriends sister got rid of her 1 year old iguana because it was mean as hell, and bought 2 leopard geckos in it's place that have sat on her shoulders since day 1. they are very people friendly and "cuddly."

i know you know that, i just thought id share my story. haha. i can't believe you didn't say something!

-brent
Old 05-31-2004, 03:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
If it were me I would have butted in and been like "Uhm, excuse me..."
But thats just me =o)

Yes, I would definatly call the manager and if he brushes it off.. report em!

What about the cat forum, huh? =oP

Old 05-31-2004, 04:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AdamsZoological Send a message via Yahoo to AdamsZoological
Honestly, I dont know what kept me from speaking up, aside from not wanting to cuss my head off in front of two little kids...or maybe not wanting to end up in crap for drowning her in one of their fish tanks
Old 05-31-2004, 12:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by millipede
Oh good, we have another recruiter
But seriously... those sites are great...

You bet you do!

As to this story, why is it people that work in such places seem to be afraid to simply say "I don't know"? , personally I won't think any less of that person for doing so, atleast it's an honest answer, I'd much rather get that then some bull they've made up off the top of their heads.

For those of you that don't know, I work in a pet store, if I honestly don't know the answer to something, I'll say so, then go try to find someone that would know or at the very least, try to find a book with some type of referance to what the person asked. I've never had anyone complain about me saying I didn't know the answer to something. in fact they seem to be grateful that I take the trouble of trying everything I can to get thier question answered. I have many customers that will come in and hunt me down or will ask for me, because they know at the very least, I am honest with them.

Angela
Old 05-31-2004, 01:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The part that ticks me off is that had I been the customer in this case, I would've believed every word of that.. I mean, why wouldn't I? She's the "expert" right..

One of the many reasons to research everything BEFORE you even set foot in the shop.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Old 05-31-2004, 02:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh the things people will do for the almighty dollar.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsZoological
Honestly, I dont know what kept me from speaking up, aside from not wanting to cuss my head off in front of two little kids...
have you seen Old Skool??? you couldve said "Earmuffs"

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com