Pet store horror story (reptile related)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamsZoological

Aquarium Advice Freak
I posted this over on www.reptileadvice.com already but wanted to post here too for anyone that doesn't read those forums but might be interested. And, oh btw, people really should join the reptile and bird forums, they are great! :D Anyway, on to the story.

Walked into a local store today, to hear about one of the most extreme cases of horrible advice ever. Stepped back into their reptile room, just as one of their employees had a lady with her two kids back there, asking about lizards. The lady started by asking about Iguanas, the employee started by saying they were an EXCELLENT pet, this being an animal for an 11yr old, can be kept in dog cages, and basically that they're carnivores. She told her that they start off eating crickets, and when they get bigger, they eat, get this...rabbits. Also, the employee seemed to think male an female Iguanas stay the same size...news to me. The next thing afterwards, is one of the kids noticed a leopard gecko in a cage, and asked about them, the employee continued by responding that Leopard Geckos are horrible pets, and hate people, then proceeded to continue about how great of a pet Iguanas are. Just wanted to share, the particular store's manager will be getting a very vocal call on Tuesday morning, to say the least. I'm also considering sending a report into PIJAC.

Disgusting.

The lack of enforced regulation in many pet stores is disturbing.

I'm not sure there is an emoticon in existance that would accurately display what I'm feeling right now.... Ignorance, just plain ignorance... Either they don't know any better or they do, either way I believe the best word is Ignorance........

oh btw, people really should join the reptile and bird forums, they are great!
Oh good, we have another recruiter :D
But seriously... those sites are great...

funny thing about that story is my girlfriends sister got rid of her 1 year old iguana because it was mean as hell, and bought 2 leopard geckos in it's place that have sat on her shoulders since day 1. they are very people friendly and "cuddly."

i know you know that, i just thought id share my story. haha. i can't believe you didn't say something!

-brent

If it were me I would have butted in and been like "Uhm, excuse me..."
But thats just me =o)

Yes, I would definatly call the manager and if he brushes it off.. report em!

What about the cat forum, huh? =oP

Honestly, I dont know what kept me from speaking up, aside from not wanting to cuss my head off in front of two little kids...or maybe not wanting to end up in crap for drowning her in one of their fish tanks

millipede said:
Oh good, we have another recruiter :D
But seriously... those sites are great...

You bet you do! :D

As to this story, why is it people that work in such places seem to be afraid to simply say "I don't know"? , personally I won't think any less of that person for doing so, atleast it's an honest answer, I'd much rather get that then some bull they've made up off the top of their heads.

For those of you that don't know, I work in a pet store, if I honestly don't know the answer to something, I'll say so, then go try to find someone that would know or at the very least, try to find a book with some type of referance to what the person asked. I've never had anyone complain about me saying I didn't know the answer to something. in fact they seem to be grateful that I take the trouble of trying everything I can to get thier question answered. I have many customers that will come in and hunt me down or will ask for me, because they know at the very least, I am honest with them.

Angela

The part that ticks me off is that had I been the customer in this case, I would've believed every word of that.. I mean, why wouldn't I? She's the "expert" right..

One of the many reasons to research everything BEFORE you even set foot in the shop.

AdamsZoological said:
Honestly, I dont know what kept me from speaking up, aside from not wanting to cuss my head off in front of two little kids...

have you seen Old Skool??? you couldve said "Earmuffs"

after replying to this and the one at reptile advice, I found another, similar post and I just couldn't hold my tounge. Basically my response was pure ignorance... Either the salesperson didn't know, or didn't care and just wanted to make money... either way it is quite ignorant of them. The problem with a lot of todays workers, especially in low paying jobs, is that they don't care about what they are doing... I'm guessing most of the people here, if stuck in a burger flipping, dish washing kind of job, would not be happy and wouldn't be giving 100%... I know there are people who would, but most people today aren't happy with their jobs and it shows. And todays "young people" aren't very happy or motivated... no offense to anyone here but I think you all know what I'm saying. Basically, if I were running a business like a pet store I would pay based on experience... If someone came into a store I was at and knew a lot, was friendly and helpful, they would get paid more than a person that's been there a year and doesn't do anything... Also, I would have loads of info like care sheets and books around that my employees would be required to read and be tested on in order to work in certain departments and get raises and such. But that's just me. I helped out at a pet store before as well, but I didn't get paid, and I was also smart enought to say "I don't know" but I'd look stuff up for people. I would try to find it in a book we had on hand and if I couldn't find an answer then, I would go home and search the net for the info... That's how I found these sites... I would sometimes even get a customers phone number so I could call them and tell them the kind of info they were looking for...
Oh well... too tired and frustrated to think of anything else to say... I do know how hard it is to speak up, I myself am quite shy about stuff like that, but for the animals it is a life and death situation... I think we need to start a section here on training us the consumers how to go about changing things at those pet stores...

True, but I was speaking pet stores in general....they'll lie to sell you anything! :)

(ESPECIALLY LFS IN MY AREA!!!)

aren't lepoard Gekos much, much more expensive than iguannas
well.... depending on the age the actual animal(gecko) will cost more but... When you consider how large an iguana will get and the size setup that is really required as well as many other factors, an iguana could be quite expensive... Who knows... they could have had stolen goods there or something and were trying to unload an iguana, a dog cage, and some live food...
they'll lie to sell you anything
It's either that or they just have no clue what they are doing, or both...
only one thing left I can say, as Charlie Brown might say it... "Oh brother..."

Yeah but aren't lepoard Gekos much, much more expensive than iguannas?

Yes leos are generally a bit more expensive per animal, unless your talking about some of the 'exotic' morphs, some of the prices on those are unbelievable. Prices on both these animals aren't THAT much different here, $15 for a baby iggy, $25 for a baby leo. But, as Millipede stated, by the time you factor in the caging and 'special' needs of an iguana, it will end up costing much more in the long run to own/keep an iguana. As an example, you can keep a leo gecko in a 10 gallon tank ($8 here) it's entire life, add on a screen $10, substrate $6, and a couple dozen crickets a week $2. With iguanas, a baby can live in a 35 gallon($55+) for about 3 months, then it will need moved into a cage approx. 36X18X36 ($150), as an adult they need a min. of 48X24X72 ($200-$400) sized cage, UV fluoresent lights ($20-25) which needs replacing every 6 months, and the cost of fresh fruits and veggies daily (approx. $30-35 a month). All in all, a much bigger responsibilty than a Leo. Also, you'll need to have an iguana under your care for upwards of 30yrs, whereas Leos, much more than 10yrs would be a stretch. Definately not an animal for everyone.

Angela

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom